New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
NathanD277

Re: New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Post by NathanD277 »

Can you post tuning results on your OVTune since they're now selling?
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

NathanD277 wrote:Can you post tuning results on your OVTune since they're now selling?
As soon as tune finished and we can get back to dyno. Obviously want to post finished results of a finished tune. Saturday's dyno session was Mat's first hit and run shot at it and we did a lot of datalog work so he could make refinements. Talked with Mat about it today when we got the news that we suddenly had 10 kits on the way. I honestly figured we might be waiting another month and website "September" Eta was going to end up being really late in September. Mat now working as fast as he can....while also taking care of dozens of existing customers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Thanks so much! I was surprised to see it go up for sale this quickly too.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Question Brian. With the Skyactive engine's excessively high compression ratio, I'm wondering how much boost the kit makes for a stock motor. I can't imagine it going higher than 5 PSI, with a 13:1 CR motor. Does it?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

iniazy wrote:Question Brian. With the Skyactive engine's excessively high compression ratio, I'm wondering how much boost the kit makes for a stock motor. I can't imagine it going higher than 5 PSI, with a 13:1 CR motor. Does it?
That's what we thought a decade ago, direct injection high compression motors have changed what we thought were the rules. Mazda announced next generation Skyactiv is even higher compression and supercharged from the factory. Though I am not at liberty to release the PSI yet, look to the high compression direct injection setups that already have Edelbrock superchargers available...like 2013-16 Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ / Toyota GT86. Tons of info out there, we are above 5psi here too.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Great work by Mat of Orange Virus. Numbers!

A week ago Mat of Orange Virus got in the car that was totally stock except for supercharger kit, including stock header, stock muffler, stock midpipe and stock intake box and we did best of 204hp with just about an hour of work, we then spent more time after the dyno pulls working on the far more important light throttle drive quality. The tune for CARB was still in development but my bet is they will end up similar...about 200 at the wheels when complete on otherwise totally stock ND.

Since this is the TUNER kit on this car, we figured we would include what the Non-California Tuner customers are likely to add at a minimum, which is header and muffler. So this week we added our shorty RoadsterSport Header just for dyno testing and RoadsterSport SuperQ Muffler This header has bigger and longer primaries/secondaries compared with stock header and a 2.5 inch outlet, the RoadsterSport mufflers are all 2.5 inch pipe for max flow. But STOCK MIDPIPE is just 2.1 inches (50mm) after the converter and the math tells us that at 200hp and beyond that's our restriction in the system now. We will get back to the dyno with our 2.5 inch RoadsterSport Midpipe as time permits, likely our new MaxMidpipe version that is just starting production and uses a much higher flow large 5 inch diameter 200 CPI cat. I expect that clean 2.5 inches of flow from header all the way through midpipe and muffler get us 220hp....but that's an adventure for another day. Testing continues, this car will be set back to stock exhaust for daily driving duties with the CARB tune so folks can visit and ride in the CARB setup. We are at about sea level, this dyno just 400 feet above sea level...which means we get MORE boost than those inland at higher elevation (12psi max is what we saw most of the morning). Results climbed steadily as Mat added timing and played with valve timing, we saw 210, 211, 213, 214, 215 and we quit with this best of 217.

Low line is STOCK 148 HP on this ND.
Middle Line is normally aspirated with tune.
Top line is best Today, Supecharger, RoadsterSport shorty header, RoadsterSport Muffler....STOCK MIDPIPE.
Attachments
DynoE5.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Very nice! Is this on 91 octane?
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yep....Chevron 91
Hot Humid morning too....very impressed with the OEM quality hardware.
Edelbrock working on both 91 and 93 octane tunes.
Results about the same as chart posted by FM on their BBR turbo page 12 of their miata.net thread with their dyno baseline at 207hp (note uncorrected). I recall baseline AVO kit chart at the same. Certainly boost can be turned up with turbo or supercharger, we may check full diameter midpipe on this car and then dedicate it back to CARB demo, leaving our Race ND to test how much further we can take this kit...which I expect is quite far with longtube header and E85...and more. This is just the beginning.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
benpeart

Post by benpeart »

I'm very interested in this kit and am willing to live with less HP so that I can avoid the extra noise that comes with a header. I see you got 204 HP with the SC on an otherwise stock car but I would really like to know torque numbers and see the dyno chart for running the SC without a header.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

benpeart wrote:I'm very interested in this kit and am willing to live with less HP so that I can avoid the extra noise that comes with a header. I see you got 204 HP with the SC on an otherwise stock car but I would really like to know torque numbers and see the dyno chart for running the SC without a header.
We have not loaded that chart because the tune was far from finished. If I post it, then over at miata.net and other forums people say 'this is what it makes on otherwise stock car' without understanding the part about an hour of work and many more hours of work required. The finished tune will have a lot more work, result will be different, curve will be different shape, etc. Even on the 216 result you see the bottom end of the torque curve still needs some work, and Mat has already done more work that is not reflected in that result. When Edelbrock finishes their tune that will be included with CARB version we will try and get that result posted as soon as it is available, they have had many more weeks to work on it than Mat has so far.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com