Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Postby Brian » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:32 am

The CHALLENGE: Take a virgin 2012 Miata and substantially INCREASE THE FUN factor without pissing off the WIFE!

The entire concept of "wife safe mods' has been a common theme in emails from male customers from around the world for as long as we have been in business and now that my wife has a brand new 2012 we finally have the perfect platform to develop an entire range of products that add fun without making the car TOO LOUD, TOO ROUGH, or otherwise too much for the co-driving spouses of the world.

Therefore, unlike our several 2006 and 2007 NCs, this one is NOT going to be a race car. It is not going to be an autocross or track beast. We already have the fastest NC track and autocross Miatas. This one is going to be pure street toy where the mods make it more fun without compromising the comfort factor. My wife says we should call it our "Super Sport" and/or "Super Street" project, or "SS" for short. We have some new goodies to try in it, including our new RoadsterSport Street header with converter and some new sway bars and other fun stuff. Got a suggestion? Let us know!
Attachments
2012 SS Project.jpg
2012 SS Project.jpg (21.25 KiB)
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Postby rr1santos » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Nice project...what are your plans as it is your wife's DD? N/A or F/I. Also, the RS street header ready for the market? Since it has a converter on it is it restrictive as far as exhaust compared to the regular RS header? Power gains the same?
rr1santos

Postby Brian » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Would like to make the car more of a true GT, speed with comfort. Other than that, no plans yet...

Obviously no header with converter will match gains of the full open RoadsterSport header. Like our PPE header with converter, I expect the RoadsterSport street header with converter will give up a few ponies at the top end, but should be similar in the midrange (not done yet, still in testing).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby jboemler » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Well, it obviously still needs a supercharger...! ;)
jboemler

Postby Brian » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:23 pm

jboemler wrote:Well, it obviously still needs a supercharger...! ;)

Yes, I think that's right!

Now to convince the wife.... :lol:
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby skeeler » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Interesting. I'll be watching this thread.

I think the NC, with a little intake and exhaust work, has plenty of power for daily driving without forced induction. Since you already have the supercharged car, I'd like to see what you do for an atmospheric engine for street use.

I like that you're going in a different direction this car. I certainly appreciate the full-bore approach you've taken with your supercharged car, NC Extreme, and NC Light, but something more streetable would also be nice to see. My STR NC2 is also my daily driver (when I'm not dailying my stripped NA), though it's a little more hard-core than most would drive on the street. Thus my interest.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
skeeler

Postby twowheeled » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:59 am

I vote some 10" subs, 19" rims, nitrous, and underglow. :P
twowheeled

Postby Michele » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:46 pm

I'll be following this project since that is the type of use and upgrades I have planned for my 2010 GT PRHT. I want a fun to drive roadster for daily use. Looking forward to see what you do.
Michele
2010 MX-5 GT PRHT
Michele

Postby matthew-m » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Will you be attempting CARB approval for the engine modifications, so your California customers can enjoy these future products?
Matthew Metoyer
2007 Silver MX-5 PRHT, 6-speed Manual, Sport Package, Roadstersport Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, Kosei K4R 16x6.5 wheels, Goodwin Underbody Braces
matthew-m

Postby roadster_nh » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:56 pm

Given its DD status, I think it would be interesting as a test bed for strategic placement of lightweight sound deadening material. With that and the performance mods, you could look at it as 'civilized performance.'
2009 - Marble White
roadster_nh

Postby Brian » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:49 pm

matthew-m wrote:Will you be attempting CARB approval for the engine modifications, so your California customers can enjoy these future products?

Yes, hope to CARB some goodies.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Brian » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:49 pm

roadster_nh wrote:Given its DD status, I think it would be interesting as a test bed for strategic placement of lightweight sound deadening material. With that and the performance mods, you could look at it as 'civilized performance.'

It's funny you mention that, was thinking the same last night while driving home on freeway drive of about 20 miles that the road noise is surprisingly high for a brand new car....with power retracting hard top. With that in mind I was thinking that I could add some Enkei wheels and save several pounds per corner and 'spend' some of that weight savings on sound killing materials in key locations....to end up with car that rides and handles better and also is smoother, and with less road noise. Anybody have a suggestion for lightest effective road noise killer?

This is our first PRHT and first NC2, and I am having a lot fun throwing it around off ramps to see what it will do. Around town it is fun, on the freeway less so with that road noise mentioned above. The ragtop has enough wind noise with the top up to cover a lot of the road surface noise. In the PRHT the road surface noise seems much more intense...perhaps merely because of the lack of the wind noise, but perhaps in part because of an echo effect off off the hard top.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby skeeler » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:14 pm

I read on miata.net that the echo effect is indeed the source of some of the noise on the hard top. I'm not sure how that was measured, however.

I really like my NC2 (the only NC I've owned), and I suspect you'll like yours.

Totally off-topic: Brian, you were the early adopter of the NC; you've built up quite a suite of parts for this car, while the other Miata aftermarket-performance shops continued to focus mostly on the NA/NB. I hope you'll be on the leading edge when the ND arrives, too.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
skeeler

Postby AZ Sun Lover » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Mr. Goodwin,
I hear thru the grape vine your working with another spring & sway-bar builder in Cali. on new sway-bars.

So care to pass on any info?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

AZ
Brian wrote:Yep, we have been working with Progress for a while now on new NC Sway Kit.

Should have final pre-production bits next week to play with on our 2012 SS project (see other thread).

Mr. Goodwin
Good to hear, maybe a set of their springs with Koni's. But I'm guessing you go with coil-overs. What about some 17x8's w/ quite 225/45's tires.
Brian I talked to a friend that installs car audio for a living. He said install fiberglass insulation (yes Home Depot type) behind the paneling behind the seats, under the roof tray & between the fender wells. Don't stuff tight just lay in a layer. I did and seem to cut the road noise somewhat. (Placebo maybe)

I will keep an eye on this thread. (fingers crossed about the header)
AZ
AZ Sun Lover

Postby bdnbfrank` » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:11 am

I just hope you are going to come up with a rear spoiler for this car. I just bought a true red 2012 just like this and really want a lip spoiler for it. i have searched high and low and can't find one. You may have to do a 3 piece one? Some one is missing the boat on this!
bdnbfrank`

Next

Return to Mazda Miata and Fiat 124