Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Verwah

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by Verwah »

+1 for lowering solution for stock seats.

I would normally go with race seats and custom mounts, but can't justify it this time when the stock (cloth) seats are sufficiently supportive and bolstered.
E-ROC

Post by E-ROC »

Hello Brian, and fellow forum members! I am new to the world of MX-5's. Just bought a 2010 GT soft top with only 7,900 mi!!! This car has every option but the appearance package. It's a blast to drive (like I need to tell all of you!) I'm anxiously waiting for some nice weather to enjoy some top down driving! I live just north of Boston and our roads are still covered in road salt from the long winter. Since I bought the car last month I have been reading this thread on your SS PRHT. I'm very interested in adding power and handling, while keeping the car street legal. This MX-5 will be for summer use, and will be garaged for the winter. Since it won't be a dedicated daily driver, I will be leaning more towards performance than comfort. I have done a LOT of research on exhaust systems for the MX-5, and I am very impressed with your full RoadsterSport exhaust! I will be placing an order soon! I would love to get the added HP & torque from your Max Power Header. Will this header pass an emissions test? Or do I need to opt for the catted street header? Also, what are the main differences between your Q, Super Q, and RoadsterSport II mufflers? (sound, weight, tip size) Thanks for any help on this.
E-ROC
2010 MX-5 GT, 6MT, liquid silver/black leather, black soft top, suspension package, premium package.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Welcome....and congrats on the 2010 purchase.

Emissions are state by state, you would need to check with local Miata club members in your state on what you can do, they will know. See the product descriptions for the extensive details on the mufflers, it is all there in great detail, and even some sound files.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
E-ROC

Post by E-ROC »

Thanks Brian. Just signed up for your member rewards program. Hoping to take advantage of this with all of the mods that I have planned. I'll be placing my first order soon.
E-ROC
2010 MX-5 GT, 6MT, liquid silver/black leather, black soft top, suspension package, premium package.
Verwah

Post by Verwah »

Oh my goodness. Race car to the max.. Thanks for sharing this build! I'm absolutely loving it! :D
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Verwah wrote:Oh my goodness. Race car to the max.. Thanks for sharing this build! I'm absolutely loving it! :D
I think you meant to put this comment in the "NC track build" thread
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Verwah

Post by Verwah »

That comment was meant for the track buld thread. Not sure what I did to get it here, but it did require several edits because your forum doesn't allow the phrase "Race car p.o.r.n", or that last word in particular.

Anyway, this is a great build too. NC light and the more recent customer build thread are exceptional though.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

New Braces!

Playing with some new braces on this project. Took off the IL MotorSports choices and added these. Made IN THE USA by a company in Arizona, they were previously an exclusive for a race shop overseas and now available here with some updates. All TIG welded...not MIG welded like some of the cheaper stuff from China. The construction is not merely tubular, this material is internally honeycombed to be super strong and rigid yet crazy light, will post some pics of the bits on scale. Result of the USA production, high end material, and all TIG welding is LIFETIME WARRANTY, no questions asked. I usually tell folks braces make the car feel more solid but not faster, but the braces might make you faster by helping telegraph more clearly what is happening at the tire contact patch when there is less twisting up of the chassis....and everybody likes less body shake and vibration. Likely the most interesting aspect of this collection of braces is the rear toe link barces. Most cars toe out a bit under load, such that the balance of the car is shifting slightly as you push harder and harder. Never realized how much rear toe out this car can have until I tried these rear toe braces, now I need to change rear sway setting to compensate, but I like the more linear response and more consistent balance at the limit.
Attachments
NC-Brace-KIT.jpg
NC-Brace-KIT.jpg (228.36 KiB) Viewed 11556 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

One potential challenge for home installers on this choice is that you need to feed about 8 bolts through the frame rails and front subframe so you can make use of holes that are not already threaded. This requires using a wire 'grabber' and feeding the bolt from a nearby larger hole as shown here. Not sure how challenged most home installers would be on doing this? You guys feel free to offer some feedback on whether you think you could get this done at home, my gut feeling is that most could....and the harbor freight cost is only about $5 on the grabber.

Greg get's credit for figuring out the best twist on this method was to put some duct tape on head of the bolt we are feeding through the rail so the grabber could 'grab' it by the head and push it through already at the angle needed to drop into the hole.
Attachments
NC-Braces-install2.jpg
NC-Braces-install2.jpg (188.15 KiB) Viewed 11556 times
NC-Braces-Install.jpg
NC-Braces-Install.jpg (136.11 KiB) Viewed 11556 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

Have you installed a U Haul hitch recently? The bolt screws into a spiral wire end configuration, then the other end of the 10 inch wire is fed through the feed hole and out the bolt hole. Just pull the end of the wire and the bolt follows threads first. Once in place, unscrew the bolt from the spiral wire and attach the washers and nut. Very flexible, very easy to do and the wire piece looks like a 25 cent cost in quantity. Not sure how you're holding the bolt head when tightening the nut, but an impact wrench is probably best for this. Yeah, easy enough to do.