Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by Brian »

Racing Beat may have had issues with the springs, but none with the sways....which are my current favorite choice for MX5 based on features, price and quality.

We are working with Progress on their springs and sways. The front springs went back to them again, should have latest version this week. Hopefully get updated version of their springs into production soon.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NobleK

Post by NobleK »

Brian,Az Sun and Eluvii

Thanks for the welcome

The Q muffler looks like it will be the first mod.

You all recommend new sways. Progress or Racing Beat? Brian is running Progress sways on his new prat but believes RB is the best value. Do I need them even with the Mazda suspension package on the SE? I didn't choose it but got it as part of the SE package.

So on shocks is it Koni's combined with the new springs being developed by Progress. Again do I need them considering I got the Bilstein's with package? Of course the Bilsteins' are probably not in the same class as the Koni/Progress combination. Forgive my ignorance.

I will certainly the consider the SmartTop as several thread contributors are using it.

Is there a risk of taking on water with the AEM in rainy season? If I understand Brian's website instructions by using the factory elbow I am still street legal (carb approved) in California. Yes - No? Or do I wait for Mazda to pay for the certification? If not I am sure there are things about street legal I need to learn and it will probably take a trip to San Diego. I am going that way anyway soon.

I really appreciate this thread. I've experts who test it for me but the conceptual goal is the same.

I work in LA but live in San Juan Capistrano. That's my 80 mile daily commute.
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

NobleK,
Racing Beat sways are ok per Brian so I would say ok. I'm (& many others) are using the RX-8 OEM / Stock / Base / Red dot /25mm (all the same) front sway-bar with an RX-8 OEM / Stock / Sport / Yellow dot / 16mm (all the same) rear sway-bar. I have part #'s for plug and play polly bushings the bolt up with the stock sway-bar brackets. These two work very good to gather even with the Progress springs & Koni shocks. If you install the sway-bars first then the springs & shocks you may feel that the car now may oversteers, but trust me you learn to drive the car within a few days. It just feels lose the first few days. Confidence in your driving grows each day. I'm 52 and if I can learn the drive with this combo I know anyone else can. :oops:

Enjoy your new car,
AZ
designarchitect

Post by designarchitect »

I will throw in my 2 cents.

I would like to see the car with Eibach PRHT springs and 18x8 (+40) RPO-03 wheels.

Good luck

Adam
chicken

Post by chicken »

NobleK wrote: The Q muffler looks like it will be the first mod.

You all recommend new sways. Progress or Racing Beat? Brian is running Progress sways on his new prat but believes RB is the best value. Do I need them even with the Mazda suspension package on the SE? I didn't choose it but got it as part of the SE package.
The Q muffler has zero downsides, no drone or other issues, sounds great, and looks great especially now with the rolled tips. Go for it! I have it on mine and am VERY happy with its design and construction and the really good exhaust tone it gives the car, much more rewarding to drive when your sports car actually makes sports car sounds.

As for sways, there have been NO quality issues with the RacingBeat sways (comments about sagging RacingBeat springs are sympathized with but wholly irrelevant). I have the RacingBeat sways on my PRHT, as do many others, Brian recommends them for a reason, and I would recommend them over the Progress sways or the RX8 sways because of their greater adjustability. The adjustability on a sway gives you options for tuning that is more practical than you might think. For example, on relatively soft springs (stock or Eibachs) you will likely want the sways set firmer (inner hole), but as soon as you move to firmer spring rates or coilovers you will want to reduce the sway bar stiffness a little (middle hole rear, outer hole front). The price of the RacingBeat sways is very reasonable and the quality is high, from the coating on the bar to the supplied bushings.

As for the mazda "Sport Suspension" on your PRHT, the sways that come with the Sport Suspension are woefully inadequate so you definitely need larger sways like the RacingBeats. You will be amazed how much the body roll is reduced and how much more control you have in transients after you upgrade the sway bars... comfort during aggressive / evasive driving goes up as well because you don't have the "seasick" feeling from all that body roll! :)
BlackChicken = NC2 + mods
BlueChicken = NB1 + mods (ex)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The Progress sways on this project are just a prototype, they don't otherwise exist yet. But even when Progress gets the sway kit on the market it will be a tough battle against the value of the Racing Beat sways. Thus, for the moment, the Racing Beat sways are my first choice in sways for MX5.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NobleK

Post by NobleK »

Chicken & Brian

First the Q and then the RB sways.

Thanks. You guys are making it easy. I will sound fast and look fast but may not be fast.

Later I will consider the AEM intake.

Noble
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Folks

Finished the Progress Springs! After working for a few months with Progress on getting springs dialed in for the PRHT we are finally there. Final heights 14 inches front, 14.25 rear with no passengers. Add two adults and you end up level. Looks good, handles great! Looking forward to getting the Enkei wheels we ordered a few months ago....which should be here late this month!
Attachments
Project Progress SpringsNC.JPG
Project Progress SpringsNC.JPG (103.31 KiB) Viewed 9495 times
Project Progress Springs.JPG
Project Progress Springs.JPG (170.94 KiB) Viewed 9581 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

Brian wrote:Hi Folks

Finished the Progress Springs! After working for a few months with Progress on getting springs dialed in for the PRHT we are finally there. Final heights 14 inches front, 14.25 rear with no passengers. Add two adults and you end up level. Looks good, handles great! Looking forward to getting the Enkei wheels we ordered a few months ago....which should be here late this month!
YES! :o
So when will they be For Sale?
So the new PRHT in the photo is still using / riding OEM shocks....yes?
Got to see Koni's installed ASAP.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It's up to Progress now, not sure how long they take for production batch.

Yes, stock Sports Suspension Bilstein shocks on this car.

NOTE we will have TWO Progress part numbers!

One part for NC1, the same set as sold for years here.

And NEW Spring Set for NC2.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com