Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
jtw1974

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by jtw1974 »

Thank you
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Your welcome. As far as i'm concerned that's the point of this forum, to share advice with others that may we have learned or stumbled across before.
Anyhow if you want to be really accurate you can measure your rim diameter first, which if oem 17" wheels should be 18.5". Then measure vertically to the fender lip from the bottom of the rim and then take away 9.25" or half the diameter you measured if other sized wheel used.
Farther

Post by Farther »

Did the SS Project car get shorter bump stops to go along with the lowering springs?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

On this car we left the full length bumpstops...and that seems to work very well with the factory bilsteins and Progress springs. If we used KONI shocks that lowers the car ANOTHER half inch and these stops would then be too long (you would ride them all the time). Thus, if adding KONI with these springs, then add the FCM stops on our site for "Lowered" cars....which are shorter stops.

I was driving this car last night and impressed once again how "RIGHT" this car is, the ride is amazing, the handling around freeway on-ramps is AWESOME, and the SOUND is glorious... and extra torque is felt everywhere. My wife doesn't want me to make any more changes, she really loves it as it is....and I agree it is a really sweet Miata, the factory should done it this way.

Brian
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sabatino

Post by sabatino »

Brian wrote:If we used KONI shocks that lowers the car ANOTHER half inch and these stops would then be too long (you would ride them all the time).
Thanks for noting this, Brian.
I followed your emailed advice when I placed my GWR order of Progress springs + KONIs and also ordered the "FCM 36/58 White Bump Stop Kit SPORT", in May.

However, when I picked up my car from the auto shop, I was confused by the installer reporting that they couldn't use the FCM Stops: "they did not fit with the KONIs and had to use some OEM hardware & some KONI hardware to make it all work while reusing the OEM bumpstops". :?
I asked if they trimmed the OEMs down then, so that they were not riding on them all the time due to the lowering? No, they were left at full length. :shock:

So I suspect that the car is riding the bumpstops all the time now.
Does it mean that the shocks are barely able to do their job; that all weight is on the springs and would float around like a "boat"?
What would that feel like on the road?

I think I may find another shop to re-check & re-install the KONIs to be sure.
Too bad GWR & Rocky's is really too far from Chicago for a quick road-trip. :mrgreen:
2013 MX5 GT PRHT AT | Copper Red
RoadsterSport: MAX Power Header BSCF, Mid & Super Q; Progress Springs; Koni Sport Adj; ILM RP Bar & X-Brace; Racing Beat F & R Tubular Sway Bars; 7x7.5 Enkei Tuning Fujin Black; Stebel Nautilus Horn
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Riding the stops more often will mean firmer ride. So, if the ride feels fine to you, then it is not something that needs to be fixed...and you can send back the FCM bits to us for refund.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Farther

Post by Farther »

I think he is asking if the FCM will fit the KONIS or not?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The FCM do fit the KONI.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sabatino

Post by sabatino »

Brian wrote:Riding the stops more often will mean firmer ride. So, if the ride feels fine to you, then it is not something that needs to be fixed...and you can send back the FCM bits to us for refund.
Brian,
Yep, makes sense now--thanks for the feedback and the return option. Best customer care from GWR! :D
I'll hang onto the FCMs to keep setup options open. (I haven't explored firming up the KONIs themselves yet. They are at 1 turn from factory full soft.)
Farther wrote:I think he is asking if the FCM will fit the KONIS or not?
Farther, thanks for asking and sorry if I wasn't clear. But nope, I am absolutely sure that the FCMs fit the KONIs, based on GWR and everyone's feedback, over the years, with this popular config.
I just think my installer shop ran into trouble and compensated the best they knew how. What it was that threw them off I do not know. I probably couldn't evaluate fully on my own inspection; I'm not a DIY'r for this level.
2013 MX5 GT PRHT AT | Copper Red
RoadsterSport: MAX Power Header BSCF, Mid & Super Q; Progress Springs; Koni Sport Adj; ILM RP Bar & X-Brace; Racing Beat F & R Tubular Sway Bars; 7x7.5 Enkei Tuning Fujin Black; Stebel Nautilus Horn
JamesD840

Post by JamesD840 »

I'm planning to upgrade my NC along much the same lines as your 2012 PRHT & plan on using it only on the street. I have a GT w/ the 17" alloys. My next purchase is probably going to be a new set of wheels. How important is unsprung weight on the NC as compared to earlier models? Will I notice any difference in handling and/or ride quality using a 20-21 lb wheel versus the OEM wheels? I think the OEM 17" alloys are about 17 lbs - can you confirm that? Thank you!