Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
eluviis

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by eluviis »

Hi Brian, I really enjoyed watching the SCCA Solo tour a few weeks ago. I would've not been able to attend the AX yesterday anyway, but when's the next AX you'll be at? I'd love to watch and bring my car. Maybe run it too (with that clear tape stuff you used). I've never run an AX, so I want to watch more before giving it a go.

If there's an event running memorial day weekend, I won't be able to make that as I will be already racing from San Diego to Oceanside (over a different kind of surface - water - as in this sorta thing: http://www.da-woody.com/10YCSAT/10YCSAT.html ) - But anytime after that for sure. Apart from the SCCA calendar, is there any other site I can keep up with local AX events?

Also, maybe you should bring the new NC2 to cars and coffee Saturday mornings in Carlsbad. - Again, not Memorial weekend, cause I won't be there :mrgreen:
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
matthew-m

Post by matthew-m »

Brian wrote:
roadster_nh wrote:Given its DD status, I think it would be interesting as a test bed for strategic placement of lightweight sound deadening material. With that and the performance mods, you could look at it as 'civilized performance.'

It's funny you mention that, was thinking the same last night while driving home on freeway drive of about 20 miles that the road noise is surprisingly high for a brand new car....with power retracting hard top. With that in mind I was thinking that I could add some Enkei wheels and save several pounds per corner and 'spend' some of that weight savings on sound killing materials in key locations....to end up with car that rides and handles better and also is smoother, and with less road noise. Anybody have a suggestion for lightest effective road noise killer?

This is our first PRHT and first NC2, and I am having a lot fun throwing it around off ramps to see what it will do. Around town it is fun, on the freeway less so with that road noise mentioned above. The ragtop has enough wind noise with the top up to cover a lot of the road surface noise. In the PRHT the road surface noise seems much more intense...perhaps merely because of the lack of the wind noise, but perhaps in part because of an echo effect off off the hard top.
I found a paintable noise-control product called QuietCoat at http://www.quietcar.net that seems to provide low weight with better results than the mat types of products. Has anyone tired this?
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

eluviis wrote:Hi Brian, I really enjoyed watching the SCCA Solo tour a few weeks ago. I would've not been able to attend the AX yesterday anyway, but when's the next AX you'll be at? I'd love to watch and bring my car. Maybe run it too (with that clear tape stuff you used). I've never run an AX, so I want to watch more before giving it a go.

If there's an event running memorial day weekend, I won't be able to make that as I will be already racing from San Diego to Oceanside (over a different kind of surface - water - as in this sorta thing: http://www.da-woody.com/10YCSAT/10YCSAT.html ) - But anytime after that for sure. Apart from the SCCA calendar, is there any other site I can keep up with local AX events?

Also, maybe you should bring the new NC2 to cars and coffee Saturday mornings in Carlsbad. - Again, not Memorial weekend, cause I won't be there :mrgreen:
We make most of the local SCCA autocross events. Our habit lately has been to play with the project car on practice Saturdays and use our supercharged 2007 for competition Sundays. Looks like next event is June 2 and 3rd. The calendar link for anybody seeking to join the fun is HERE.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

eluviis wrote: I've never run an AX, so I want to watch more before giving it a go.
No need to watch. Just show up prepared to drive and have fun. Lots of friendly folks to help you thru sign up and such.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

^^^ Thanks! Good to know....

As far as gear, all I need is a DOT approved helmet, right?
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

eluviis wrote:^^^ Thanks! Good to know....

As far as gear, all I need is a DOT approved helmet, right?
Helmet needs to be latest Snell automotive standard, but they even have a few loaner helmets if your helmet is not current.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
projectrally

Post by projectrally »

Came to this thread late, but following with great interest. I have a 2010 PRHT as my daily driver. I run in STR, but I am firmly committed to the idea that any performance upgrades must be tempered with every day livability.

Excited to see front lip spoiler when it happens.
ptr622

Post by ptr622 »

Brian,

How much is the outside diameter of the new rolled tips on your mufflers?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

ptr622 wrote:Brian,

3.5" OD outlet tips...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
roadster_nh

Post by roadster_nh »

Brian wrote:
ptr622 wrote:Brian,

3.5" OD outlet tips...
Brian, what was the primary driver behind changing to rolled tips? Customer feedback and demand I presume? I've always really like the original tips, but I may be in the minority.

Terry
2003 LS FFS