Install Notes on the PPE Long Tube Header. I have the car mostly back together except for the battery and resonator and last end pipe plus turndown. Just wanted to post some experience with the install here before I forget.
I removed the battery, battery case, and completely removed the alternator. This is simple, just a few screws and it really opens things up for access to the other parts. Removing the drive belt from the alternator pulley is simple as Mazda uses a spring tensioner. Just put a 14mm wrench on it and rotate it clockwise to relieve tension on the belt and slip it off the pulley.
I built my own extensions for the oxygen sensors by cutting the wires and splicing in 30 inches of high temperature teflon wire for the first sensor (pre cat) (black connector) and splicing in 42 inches of wire for the second sensor (post cat) (gray connector). The 30 inches is about right for my mounting path, but the 42 inches is maybe 4 inches too long. I routed the wires using cable mounts, only I took off the normal foam sticky pads and used 3M VHB foam sticky pads, plus I cleaned the mounting points on the car using isopropyl alcohol. I chose to route the sensor wiring up against the heat shield on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel and transitioned to the metal bodywork as the wires entered the engine compartment. This keeps the wiring as far away from the header as possible. However, this was a major PITA: If Brian has extensions for both oxygen sensors I recommend you purchase them and make this plug and play.
Getting the stock header out was not easy as the opening just didn't seem big enough, even without the battery case or alternator in the way. Don't worry, just keep trying things and be gentle, don't force anything. I got things wedged once or twice and it took me awhile to undo my mistakes. Patience, grasshopper, it does come out without using a hammer. Same advice for putting the PPE header in. At one point I thought I had to remove the motor mount, but you don't. Just backed out, started over and found a way to get it in. I think I tilted the header more vertical so the pipes went straight down and moved things towards the rear of the engine compartment as much as possible and then it slipped in. It goes in from the top, though I did try to get it in from below once! Wrong Answer! :<P
You won't need a new exhaust gasket or any sealer as the Mazda stock one is metal and doesn't use any sealer or goop.
Take a picture of how the stock midpipe is connected to the stock header using the springs. You will copy that order of hardware with the PPE header / midpipe and it's easier to look at a pic than to try to remember at 10pm.
After the PPE header was in, I was trying to fasten the heat shield with the screws that go in from underneath. Once I got the two front screws started, it was much easier to go underneath the car and use two 6 inch extensions and a 3 inch extension for my wrench and then just tighten them from below. I didn't do it this way when removing the heat shield so I don't know if it is possible when the stock header is in place.
Ok, that's it for now. I'll finish tomorrow and report on how things turned out.