NC - racing seats

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Timothy5509

NC - racing seats

Post by Timothy5509 »

I am looking for some seats for my 2007 MX-5. Starting to do more than autocross and need more safety. I would like to get some racing seats and 5 or 6 point harnesses.

I need a seat that sits lower than the stock leather heated seats, and am willing to not use sliders to achieve this (at least on the driver side). I am 6'4" and need to make sure I sit below the roll bar. What kind of options do I have?

Thank you.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC - racing seats

Post by Brian »

I really like my Cobra seats...which I use with side mounts and our seat rails. The base of the seat sits through the hole in our rail such that my backside cannot get lower with modification of the floor.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Which Cobras do you use, Brian?
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Cobra Suzuka Pro
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Timothy5509

Post by Timothy5509 »

Thanks Brian, looks like a good seat. A little more expensive than I had hoped, but its for safety, no going cheap on that.

Are you using the standard or the GT? and would the extra 1" make it difficult to fit in the car?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I have the standard. Sorry, have not looked at whether wider version would have issues.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

I've been pleased with the Sparco Fighter. It's similar to the Evo 2 in size (a bit wider), and fits well, plus it has more "anti wear" material on the fabric so it's good on a daily driver like mine. See my posts on this forum...
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
indelicat

Post by indelicat »

I have an old OPM grip carbon/kevlar mounted with OMP side mount on a custmade aluminion base. No sliders.
It fits the cars just for couple of cms and it's very low.
Here the dimension so you can have a reference with what you're planning to buy
http://www.motorspot.com/seatchart.htm
DanR

Post by DanR »

I have Cobra Imolas in my NC. The wider width of the GT seat would be much more challenging. The standard seats fit up to about 34" waist. The only chance you have of getting close to being below the bar with a helmet on is to remove the factory humps and bold the sidemount directly to the floor. I am 6'2" and use the GWR mounts with side mounts. My helmet hit the hardtop roof. FYI, I was looking at one of the MX5 race cars in the continental series and they dropped the floor pan about 2". I was more suprised they had sliders in the car. Presumably to accomodate differnt drivers.
Timothy5509

Post by Timothy5509 »

Thanks for the input on the GT model possibly not fitting. I would be happy with a 2" drop from the stock seat, I see a couple posted that should do the trick. I will have to sit in some seats and see which ones I can fit in.