NC - racing seats

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.

NC - racing seats

Postby Timothy5509 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:29 am

I am looking for some seats for my 2007 MX-5. Starting to do more than autocross and need more safety. I would like to get some racing seats and 5 or 6 point harnesses.

I need a seat that sits lower than the stock leather heated seats, and am willing to not use sliders to achieve this (at least on the driver side). I am 6'4" and need to make sure I sit below the roll bar. What kind of options do I have?

Thank you.
Timothy5509

Re: NC - racing seats

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:47 pm

I really like my Cobra seats...which I use with side mounts and our seat rails. The base of the seat sits through the hole in our rail such that my backside cannot get lower with modification of the floor.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby skeeler » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Which Cobras do you use, Brian?
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
skeeler

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Cobra Suzuka Pro
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby Timothy5509 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Thanks Brian, looks like a good seat. A little more expensive than I had hoped, but its for safety, no going cheap on that.

Are you using the standard or the GT? and would the extra 1" make it difficult to fit in the car?
Timothy5509

Postby Brian » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:29 pm

I have the standard. Sorry, have not looked at whether wider version would have issues.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Postby rpmchris » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:02 am

I've been pleased with the Sparco Fighter. It's similar to the Evo 2 in size (a bit wider), and fits well, plus it has more "anti wear" material on the fabric so it's good on a daily driver like mine. See my posts on this forum...
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
rpmchris

Postby indelicat » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:42 am

I have an old OPM grip carbon/kevlar mounted with OMP side mount on a custmade aluminion base. No sliders.
It fits the cars just for couple of cms and it's very low.
Here the dimension so you can have a reference with what you're planning to buy
http://www.motorspot.com/seatchart.htm
indelicat

Postby DanR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:52 pm

I have Cobra Imolas in my NC. The wider width of the GT seat would be much more challenging. The standard seats fit up to about 34" waist. The only chance you have of getting close to being below the bar with a helmet on is to remove the factory humps and bold the sidemount directly to the floor. I am 6'2" and use the GWR mounts with side mounts. My helmet hit the hardtop roof. FYI, I was looking at one of the MX5 race cars in the continental series and they dropped the floor pan about 2". I was more suprised they had sliders in the car. Presumably to accomodate differnt drivers.
DanR

Postby Timothy5509 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks for the input on the GT model possibly not fitting. I would be happy with a 2" drop from the stock seat, I see a couple posted that should do the trick. I will have to sit in some seats and see which ones I can fit in.
Timothy5509

Postby skeeler » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:40 pm

DanR,

Are you who I think you are? If so, or if not, can you post some photos with both seats in place? The Imola seems like the perfect seat for the NC. How did you solve the wiring problem on the passenger side?

Off-topic: Incidentally, in the '95, I'm running the Racer Pro on the driver side and the Suzuka Pro on the passenger side.

Thanks.

Michael G
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
skeeler

Postby eluviis » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 am

rpmchris wrote:I've been pleased with the Sparco Fighter. It's similar to the Evo 2 in size (a bit wider), and fits well, plus it has more "anti wear" material on the fabric so it's good on a daily driver like mine. See my posts on this forum...

Hi Chris, I know it's a bit of a moot point this far, but how do you feel about the difference between your Sparco seats and the stock seats with airbags as far as road-safety goes? I know your car is a DD and auto X car. I'm sure this has crossed your mind at some point.

Also, do you attach the harness to a seat rail bar or something. I notice you don't run a roll bar.

I've been toying with the idea of trading my PRHT for a soft top, probably since the day I bought it, haha. And... adding a roll bar and racing seats.
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
eluviis

Postby rpmchris » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:22 am

eluviis wrote:
rpmchris wrote:I've been pleased with the Sparco Fighter. It's similar to the Evo 2 in size (a bit wider), and fits well, plus it has more "anti wear" material on the fabric so it's good on a daily driver like mine. See my posts on this forum...

Hi Chris, I know it's a bit of a moot point this far, but how do you feel about the difference between your Sparco seats and the stock seats with airbags as far as road-safety goes? I know your car is a DD and auto X car. I'm sure this has crossed your mind at some point.

Also, do you attach the harness to a seat rail bar or something. I notice you don't run a roll bar.

I've been toying with the idea of trading my PRHT for a soft top, probably since the day I bought it, haha. And... adding a roll bar and racing seats.

When I first started riding motorcycles, my Rider Safety Instructor shared his view on risk, and I've adopted this view. Risk is like an open window; the more you open it, the more risk you are exposed to, but you also increase your opportunities to see, smell, hear, and feel what the world has to offer. Keep the "risk window" closed, and you have very little risk, but also fewer opportunities to experience what life has to offer. How far you open the window is up to you.

It's always risky to drive on the street, whether you're a driver or a passenger in a car or on a motorcycle. That said, I've survived driving for almost 40 years riding a motorcycle and driving a car without airbags in my seats or steering wheel (while having very few even minor accidents), so it wasn't really much of a decision especially considering the limited street use my MX-5 sees now. That's the way my car is going; I only drive it a few miles each day if at all, and that will stop once I have another DD and the MX-5 goes on a trailer permanently. And the risk of injury is nearly ZERO at an autocross...I'm more likely to get into trouble being dehydrated in the Texas heat!

I have only the OEM "rollbar" even though I could (and probably will) replace it with something Brian has to offer. I'm also using the stock seat belts, with the Cam Lock device on the driver's belt to hold me in place better (I'll get a full harness once the rollbar is installed - my class rules don't allow the harness without a rollbar above the helmeted head).

I'm also hoping Mazda will introduce a soft top delete package with a removable hardtop (not the PHRT) while the NC is still on the market so I can take mine off!
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
rpmchris

Postby eluviis » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks for the detailed reply Chris. Really appreciate it. BTW, congrats on the write up about your car on Zoom-zoom. Just got my issue in the mail the other day and saw it.
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
eluviis

Postby rpmchris » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:35 am

eluviis wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply Chris. Really appreciate it. BTW, congrats on the write up about your car on Zoom-zoom. Just got my issue in the mail the other day and saw it.

:oops: Thanks - I'm humbled at the comments I've received.
'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
rpmchris

Next

Return to Mazda Miata and Fiat 124