Questions about "TEIN Flex Coilover Kit (With Upper Mount)"

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Woo

Questions about "TEIN Flex Coilover Kit (With Upper Mount)"

Post by Woo »

The car would be a 2013 Miata, GT, PRHT, for the twisties and highways, no competition, lotsa potholes and ruts and bumps.

1. What is the minimum lowering possible? It says zero, so would 14.5" ride height, fender to hub centre, be achievable?

2. The spring rates are listed as 7F/5R. Will they handle the extra weight of the PRHT at the rear? No bottoming?

3. It talks about a spring rate adjustment of +/-2. How do you make that adjustment?

4. How/where do you adjust the damping rate?

5. What is this Electronic Damping Force Controller?

6. How does their weight compare with other coilovers?

7. And corrosion resistance?

8. I note the low price. Is this a matter of you get what you pay for? I'm not looking for cheap. I'm prepared to pay for whatever fills my needs the best, within reason.

Thanks, and if anyone wants to suggest a similar but better coilover, please do.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Questions about "TEIN Flex Coilover Kit (With Upper Moun

Post by Brian »

Hello and welcome.

1. What is the minimum lowering possible? It says zero, so would 14.5" ride height, fender to hub centre, be achievable?

Most customers with the TEIN want 1.5 to 2.5 inches of lowering. Thus, have not had opportunity to play with max height. Perhaps somebody else out there with the TEIN has the answer.

2. The spring rates are listed as 7F/5R. Will they handle the extra weight of the PRHT at the rear? No bottoming?

Easily, that 5K rear is several times the stock rear spring rates in PRHT.

3. It talks about a spring rate adjustment of +/-2. How do you make that adjustment?

Likely talking about fact that most coilovers can handle springs rates 2kg stiffer without revalve.

4. How/where do you adjust the damping rate?

You turn the adjuster...

5. What is this Electronic Damping Force Controller?

Rather unique to the TEIN brand there is an optional electronic controller that mounts in the car and has little servo units that sit on each coilover so you can adjust them from the cockpit. It's a rather expensive extra but rather cool too.

6. How does their weight compare with other coilovers?

I have not weighed them against all the choices but in general the aluminum choices (Ohlins) are lighter by a few pounds per corner than steel choices.

7. And corrosion resistance?

These days all the brands seem pretty good on this.

8. I note the low price. Is this a matter of you get what you pay for? I'm not looking for cheap. I'm prepared to pay for whatever fills my needs the best, within reason.

I often tell folks that the OHLINS are THE BEST, but if not in the budget then the TEIN are my next choice.

Thanks, and if anyone wants to suggest a similar but better coilover, please do.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Woo

Re: Questions about "TEIN Flex Coilover Kit (With Upper Moun

Post by Woo »

Brian wrote:...4. How/where do you adjust the damping rate?

You turn the adjuster....
Understood, but where is the adjuster located?

Some seem to be on the bottom, and are reached through the wheel well. Some seem to be on the top, so the front one is actually at the top of the tower in the engine compartment, but the back one is hidden behind trim. Some seem to have "extenders" to put the adjustment easily within reach. It would be nice to be able to get at the adjuster easily.

Would you know the minimum lowering of the Ohlins?

And thanks for the reply.