Top latch release

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
HugoS895

Top latch release

Post by HugoS895 »

I am a new owner of a 2000 Miata. I would appreciate someone advising me as to whether the fact that my top latches do not stay closed, is a known issue. The release button has no effect, either to secure them nor release them. Were it not for the sun visors holding them closed I fear they would come open.

Thanks, anyone.

Rusty
jboemler

Re: Top latch release

Post by jboemler »

They're adjustable, and probably just need tightening.
ronbauer

Re: Top latch release

Post by ronbauer »

While Jim is correct that adjusting them may help, it is a known issue that over time the NB latches will do that.

I had mine replaced on my 2000 under warranty a couple of years into my ownership (bought it new, sold it a long time ago now...)

If adjusting them doesn't work, which I kind of doubt it will, then you'll need to look into getting a new pair, or at least a used pair that you know works. They aren't super difficult to replace, but the screws that hold them to the top seem to have a pretty hard Loctite on them, so be very sure you are using the right tool for the screws to avoid stripping the heads.

Ron