2011 PRHT - More Power

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
PatrickM046

2011 PRHT - More Power

Post by PatrickM046 »

Brian,

A couple months ago I ordered a set of Progress Springs and sway bars from you - delivery was quick and efficient. I finally got them installed with the help of some guys from the local Miata Club. What i difference!! :!: The car is now sitting at 14" all around (+/- 1/8th) and handles great - nice and flat in the corners. It does track a little in pavement imperfections, but I am told that will be taken care of by the alignment (scheduled for this coming Tuesday).

Next on the agenda is more power :D (Like you didn't see that coming a mile away)

I will be getting an exhaust, but I am unsure which header (Max Power or Street). I use the car as a summer only daily driver and weekend "Canyon Carver". I was going to go with the Street, but if I eventually add a supercharger, then I will have to change the header because the Street is "NOT recommended for supercharged cars". Are there any drawbacks to the Max Power for a Daily Driver? Cold weather starts (I know I said it's a summer daily driver, but I take it out pretty early in the spring and mornings are still chilly....)? Does it ever throw codes? I am guessing the sound with the Super Q exhaust is OK...?

Alternatively, I was thinking of doing the full street exhaust package and CAI - would the CAI add any additional power (HP or Torque) above and beyond the exhaust?

Any other suggestions?

I am still on stock wheels & tires (for now..)

Thanks!
Patrick
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2011 PRHT - More Power

Post by Brian »

The further the first O2 sensor is pushed down the system....the more potential for a warm up code on really cold mornings. Thus, the street header not likely to see that issue, but our PPE or Max Power header can see that issue in real cold regions of the country....though the code is easily cleared. Here in the west it is warm enough year round that we don't see it. If you have a reflash of the ECU the tuner you are working with can turn off that potential code permanently.

Most find the sound of the Max Power setup with the Q at the end is a welcome change from the stock exhaust system, but sound preference is obviously very subjective.

Indeed the street header not recommended for use with supercharger, which would burn out the core fast.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
PatrickM046

Post by PatrickM046 »

Thanks for the quick reply Brian!

Just a couple more questions:

1- What about the CAI - any additional benifit with either exhaust system (Street or Max Power)?
2- Any other issues in day to day driving with a Max Power exhaust system?

Thanks,
Patrick
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

No issues in day to day driving other than the silly grin on your face. :D

If you dig into our dyno threads here you see that after you do full header and exhaust there is not much gain for the intakes, but there is some. So, all depends if you are trying to wring every HP you can out of the car or not....certainly there are diminishing returns after the exhaust swap is completed.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
PatrickM046

Post by PatrickM046 »

Thanks Brian

I think I'll be going for the Max Power header, Midpipe and the Super Q Exhaust (and extension cables). I'll just have to live with the silly grin issue. It'll be tough, but someone's gotta do it. :lol: :twisted:

I'll probably be placing the order in the fall - I need some time to replenish the "Miata funds" that were almost depleated by the progress springs and sways.

Now I need to find a local tuner...

Cheers,
Patrick