06 MX5 solo nationals STR setup

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
elloco54

Re: 06 MX5 solo nationals STR setup

Post by elloco54 »

OK here's my setup
Ohlins coilovers with swift 9K frt and 6K rear
Powerflex bushings
Tomei LSD
Max power header ,mid pipe and street single
Motoeast tune and intake
17x9 TRM wheels and 255/40 -17 Dunlop ZII star spec
Hotchkis sways at full soft
Camber 2.9 frt and 2.6 rear Caster 6+ toe 1/8 out frt and 1/16 in rear
Ride height 12.5 frt and 12.75 rear
Ran my last event with rear sway disconnected and the car seems to like it,with FTD at that event and the Dunlops will hold their own against the flavor of the day Bridgestones (second and third that day where on re71's)
The car just plain works with the current setup
Curves

Post by Curves »

elloco54 wrote:OK here's my setup
Ohlins coilovers with swift 9K frt and 6K rear
Powerflex bushings
Tomei LSD
Max power header ,mid pipe and street single
Motoeast tune and intake
17x9 TRM wheels and 255/40 -17 Dunlop ZII star spec
Hotchkis sways at full soft
Camber 2.9 frt and 2.6 rear Caster 6+ toe 1/8 out frt and 1/16 in rear
Ride height 12.5 frt and 12.75 rear
Ran my last event with rear sway disconnected and the car seems to like it,with FTD at that event and the Dunlops will hold their own against the flavor of the day Bridgestones (second and third that day where on re71's)
The car just plain works with the current setup
Wow, great drivers think a like :)

I have Ohlins with the same spring setup, same ride height/rake, rear bar disconnected, RB front bar set to middle. Alignment almost identical to yours.

Did you run that setup without the Tomei LSD?
How do you like the Tomei LSD compared to Factory?

As to holding your own against RE-71R - well you are just out driving them. I look at the RE-71R results locally, the STR guys I run against and the national events - it is proven faster.
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

Both drivers (same car) are very good and one trophied at the nationals last year. The GRM test showed the star specs to be quicker. I have run 2 events with this setup and set FTD at both one very rough asphalt the other concrete. I think I'm going to reconnect the rear bar for this weekend see if the car will rotate better, this will be another concrete airport pad in Toledo. I look at the RE71 the same way as the S2000 in STR a few people start winning with it and suddenly every one is running it.
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

As far as the Tomei..works great but I didn't have a problem with the stock LSD (which is not a torsen). But everything I read say's a better LSD is needed to be competitive in STR. The biggest improvement by far is the Ohlins and the bushings and anyone considering the swift springs make sure you get the 8 inch for the front and 7 inch for the rear. Somewhere here 7 and 6 are recommended and that is too short,trust me I know.
See23

Post by See23 »

Tomei LSD diff from Goodwin:

I installed the Tomei diff and have run it for 3 events.
I did it myself up to exchanging the diff in the housing then I had a mechanic friend check things out and help with the swap. (Backlash etc.)
There's a lot to re and re but I got the job done with no parts left over. :shock:
It took me about 8 to 10 hrs. (forgot to pay attention to the time and, sorry, no pictures)
... oh, and no blood loss either.

I did the 30 min figure 8 break in and 100km diff oil change. Now there is very little noise but you can feel a shudder in low speed hard turns. No biggy.
Also installed the cup car Hawk brakes and vented rotor package with braided lines. (good deal)

First event was like driving a different car. Super responsive and a bit of a handful until I got the suspension set up figured out. Managed a win on our local very tight course.

Second event in Vancouver on a large pad/lot; I had braking issues and kept overshooting key apexes and ended up under steering into the corners. Finished 2nd place in Touring. Had a win a few weeks earlier with the stock brakes and open diff. ???

Last nights local event and the car handled near perfectly and I figured out the brake issue; ABS was kicking in because I was to aggressive on the brakes. I backed off on hard braking for the rest of my runs to avoid ABS mush (I think they call it "ice mode") and went about 1.5 seconds faster to finish with FTD and Pax.

All in all a big improvement while learning to deal with the reformed car.
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

Here's a little update on my setup. Reconnected the rear sway and the car was a little too tail happy, with the Ohlins set at 3 clicks off full stiff. Set the rear at 6 clicks and tire press at 31 psi all 4 corners. Think I found the sweet spot. That was at Toledo airport a very grippy concrete surface. Next event was at the Pontiac Silverdome. This place has been closed and not maintained for years. Very old worn out asphalt. (club actually had to go out with a weed wacker week before the event) Same setup, result first STR and third on raw time. So far this season I have 9 first out of 11 events. I know there is more to be found in this car, think it could stand a little more camber f&r and I just jot a set of Kosei K5R and RE71R's which I will do a back to back test against the ZII star spec this weekend. I have to thank Brian for his guidance and great products (the Ohlins just flat ROCK)
See23

Post by See23 »

elloco54 wrote: Ohlins set at 3 clicks off full stiff. Set the rear at 6 clicks and tire press at 31 psi all 4 corners. Think I found the sweet spot.... Same setup, result first STR and third on raw time. So far this season I have 9 first out of 11 events.
Nice results!
It was suggested I try 25 psi rear and 27 psi front so I've been running that on my Hankook R-S3 and Direzza Z2's (almost done).
Seems like I lots of grip and even tire wear. I used to run them at 28 & 30 but I've changed so much lately it's getting confusing. Big things were back to stock rear sway bar and reduced rear camber to 1.8
What do you think you'll run the RE71Rs at? Mine are on route.
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

Starting with same setup as the ZII