heater core bypass NC1

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
AlexD859

heater core bypass NC1

Post by AlexD859 »

would like some help, im currently trying to bypass the heater core on my 2006 NC1, I was wondering if it can just be deleted all together. i have it temporarily bypassed by connecting a heater hose between the two metal coolant pipes on the passenger side of the motor. i am trying to see if i can delete the whole coolant route entirely by using plugs.

as far as i can see, the coolant flows from the thermostat housing up the side of the intake manifold, into the metal coolant pipe, then through the heater core, then back though the second metal coolant pipe which wraps around the back of the head, and dumps into the rear coolant housing.

sorry if my description isn't great, i don't have a way to take pictures right now.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: heater core bypass NC1

Post by Brian »

Yes, you can bypass the core entirely, don't have it in our NCLIGHT race car, don't have the heater core in our supercharged 2007. I recall with NCLIGHT that we did take out a few feet of hose but can't recall details beyond that.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AlexD859

Post by AlexD859 »

thanks i ended up figuring out a way to bypass it.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We also don't have the hoses flowing to throttle, which are to warm it in cold climates so it does not ice up. Since we are in California we don't need to heat the throttle.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AlexD859

Post by AlexD859 »

thank you again, just thought id post up a picture of my engine bay. I used the shorter metal coolant pipe and cut the ends off of it and used a 90 degree section of heater hose to route the hose over the rear corner of the intake manifold next to the firewall. I used a short section of hose to insulate the metal pipe away from the brake lines running in that area.

it has made a great visual upgrade to the engine bay without the lines running from side to side over the engine, plus a reduction in weight and simplicity. all a plus in my book
Attachments
attachment.jpgjjjj.jpg
attachment.jpgjjjj.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
hhghghg.jpg
hhghghg.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 3637 times