PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DYNO

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: PROJECT ND: Parts Development, Testing, Measurements, DY

Post by Brian »

Ran some sessions back to back at AutoClub Speedway this weekend, air scoops for transmission and differential passed the first track test. Most folks cannot run multiple sessions back to back but Instructor wrist band let me go and go a few back to back sessions to do our first testing of trans and diff temps in high ambient conditions. Trans peak temp was 219, the diff just 190....with ambient at and over 80F. Did just the morning but that's COOLER trans and diff temps than we ran for both when normally aspirated under similar conditions in May for just the morning, which means getting more air on the trans and diff is testing effective so far. It was a short day, jumped in our Supercharged RF for the second half of the day for a road trip (see RF thread for details). See pics of air scoops on prior pages of this thread.

Oil temps good and steady with our modified mounting of the Mishimoto Oil Cooler, back to back sessions and still 210 to 215 F. Coolant temps rock steady at 209 through back to back sessions, our triple pass CSF radiator continues to prove it is awesome.

Later Edit....my first version of this post noted what I figured was an Ecutek issue, but we now suspect our attempt to add an aftermarket intake is giving us some problems. So, going back to stock intake with the supercharger with more testing to come.
Attachments
ac1ss.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Great to know! A lighter and simpler solution than adding extra a coolers, and it will probably make more than enough improvement for many of us.
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Just days to Laguna event and the motor is all in pieces again!

I really hate to retreat from our plans of E85 with the ported and flowed 'hyper flow head' that flows about 40% more air but we have learned that we are just too far off the specs of the other sensors, exceeding the MAF sensor limits constantly with resulting error codes and lumpy delivery, etc. Consulted with Edelbrock on our logs and what it would take to get the tune where it needs to be for this radically higher flowing head with E85, and though they agree it is possible, their opinion is the project would need a few weeks more of custom tune work...and that means we just do NOT have sufficient time to get it done before hitting the road for the MRLS event next Wednesday.

So, many hours more invested and we have yanked the hyper flow head. That created an issue of needing a stock head...and we did not have an unmolested head (my experiments with Skyactiv head flow have chewed up all our spare heads). A call to friends at Mazda and we learned no heads on the west coast. Okay, starting to get anxious....will this ND make the Laguna event next week?

A few more calls and thanks to some friends at Redline AutoSport we over night ship Florida to California a used head that reportedly has 9000 miles on it. Took it apart, quick clean up job, etc. The plan is get it all put together and back in the car and simply run the Ultrasafe CARB tune for the Laguna event. That's a big disappointment...likely end up about 200 hp like our RF instead of the 230+ that we hoped to get with the Hyper Head and E85 and the Longtube header. Bummed about it but time is too short to get it done now, so we will learn the limits of this kit with exotic head and E85 another time.
Attachments
HeadChallenge.jpg
MotorChallenge.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Awww! :(

Thank you guys for pushing the platform. You’ll make it work eventually. Good luck at MRLS!
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Ahh...proper seats!

The factory leather seats are nice for slow cruise but driver fatigue on track days is high and I am tired of wearing knee pads to keep from bashing my knees trying to keep myself behind the wheel. Our Friends at 949 use the same seat, they posted at Miata.net that these 'fit' but their definition of 'fit' is perhaps unique to guys who think nothing of making the mods needed to get them installed. These are NOT plug and play! Plan on pulling back the covers and carving off about 1.25 inches from where the driver's seat would otherwise run into the trans tunnel...or use a mallet to move the trans tunnel a lot. And you pull back the covers and shave the shoulder wings down a little too. All looks good with covers back on but it took Rocky some serious work for install. These are amazingly comfortable for 'race' seats, 330mm measurement for hip space is generous for my 6'2 and 200 pound body. Using our PCI mounts with these I am about 1 inch lower with cushions installed. The cushions are held in place by velcro, on track days they rip out easily and that drops me about another inch.
Attachments
SeatsND.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
awales74

Post by awales74 »

Do you sit any lower in these? Depending on height, leg/torso ratio, and amount of hair -- tops can be mighty low.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

awales74 wrote:Do you sit any lower in these? Depending on height, leg/torso ratio, and amount of hair -- tops can be mighty low.
About 1 inch lower with cushion installed, and if I pull that for track days about 2 inches below stock height.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Tour at Edelbrock today and the manufacturing process for these new supercharger kits. Not allowed to take pics of some things but the takeaway is that pretty much everything in the kit is made in-house at Edelbrock...that includes the blowers, intercoolers, etc.

Shown here 3d printed housing from the prototype process.
Edelbrock3D.jpg
ND Miata Superchargers on shelf waiting for testing. EVERY blower is made here and EVERY blower is quality checked in fantastic detail and bench flow tested.
Edelbrockkits.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Trying cooler plugs..
Attachments
1003171335_HDR.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Supercharged Road Trip! On our way to Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Weekend! Join us in the Good-Win Racing garage for free coffee and fast rides around the track! Our Supercharged RF on display at the event, our Supercharged Blue ND giving rides around the track, and an Edelbrock representative in our garage to answer all your questions!
Attachments
1004171356.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com