Stock ND tires on 17x8 6UL

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
beardedstealth

Stock ND tires on 17x8 6UL

Post by beardedstealth »

I have been searching the forum and did find one post about 205 tires fitting on a 8 inch wide rim. However, I wanted to get feedback on specifically using my stock ND tires (205/45R17) on a new set of 17x8 6UL wheels.

I wanted to go with the 16x8, but my :evil: boss :evil: has that Enkei wheel and I just couldn't live with myself if he thought I copied him.

Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Stock ND tires on 17x8 6UL

Post by Brian »

Yes, 205mm stock tire will work on 17x8.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DanielD692

Post by DanielD692 »

Are there any downfalls to doing this? Handling, etc.? Does it look ok? Seems the tire might be too narrow or stretched?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Every choice has tradeoffs....

A variety of tire widths fit on any width of wheel rim, it's not something special with 8 inch. If you look at charts made by tire makers, every size of tire will have an 'approved rim width' or 'recommended rim width' and a tire that is 205mm will often show approved wheels are "5.5 to 7.5" inch width, etc. That tire will feel rather sloppy but very comfortable on the 5.5 wide rim, and race car sharp on the 8 inch wide rim.

Most tire makers will not show more than 7.5 wide wheel as 'recommended' for 205mm tires because they do not want complaints about curb rash...and the odds of curb rash increase as the rim width gets closer and closer to tire width. Nonetheless, for those of us racing we put 205mm tires on 8 inch wide every day because we want to make the tire sidewall as supported as possible, for sharp turn-in response, best steering response, and max contact patch actually on the ground. But if not racing then 7 inch wide is plenty wide for 205mm and will ride better than same tire on 8 inch. Thus, again, every choice has trade offs...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DanielD692

Post by DanielD692 »

Thanks.

My reason is I'd rather blow thru the stock tires before going to a 235 or other width. I don't track or race.

This is strictly for street. I like the 6UL in beryllium as shown on your blue ND. I have the same color and I think the bluish hue goes well with that color