New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Freescopesdad

Re: New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Post by Freescopesdad »

A week ago Mat of Orange Virus got in the car that was totally stock except for supercharger kit, including stock header, stock muffler, stock midpipe and stock intake box and we did best of 204hp with just about an hour of work, we then spent more time after the dyno pulls working on the far more important light throttle drive quality. The tune for CARB was still in development but my bet is they will end up similar...about 200 at the wheels when complete on otherwise totally stock ND.
Brian, are both OVT and Edelbrock supplying CARB-compliant tunes?
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

OVT working on Tuner kit tune.
Edelbrock does the CARB tune.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Testing, testing, testing!

Did 400 miles in the car yesterday!!

WOW....in love, so factory feeling (not factory power but so factory integrated in feeling).

6 hours in the car and I could have done 6 hours more.

Tune is developing at a fast pace, likely back on the dyno by this weekend.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Awesome to know. Are you trying out the 2.5" mid pipe this time?
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Got some emails asking me why I am not jumping into the Edelbrock threads at Miata.net at the moment. Working 15 hour days right now, started yesterday at 3am, up again at 3am today! Trying to help give birth to this amazing new choice does not leave a lot of free time for the rest of my life... and jumping into the silly shit show at Miata.net power section seems a waste of the precious free time I have. There was a time when the quality of discourse over there in the Miata.net power sections was very good, now it seems to have adopted the same lack of substance that infects American Politics....everyone screaming, ignorance over substance, tons of heat generated and very little light. Once we get all the answers we seek I may start a fresh thread over there to better lay the data out in an easily digestible manner that does not require readers to skip the first 40 pages of speculative garbage, but in the meantime will keep my focus on the goal of getting this baby to customers who understand. Hope that our friends over there can understand this necessary and logical time management choice.

In related news, this past weekend took our classic 2007 pictured below with MP62 blower to BMW CLUB Autocross. In the afternoon timed runs this 10 year old project held Top Time of Day until the last run of a single seat open wheel racecar finally nipped me with his last run for that top time. He was on Hoosiers, I was on the street tires we bought in 2016 for this car, add Hoosiers to this Silver 2007 and we would have been easily Top Time of Day in field of 87 competitors....the same result this car has come home with from hundreds of events over the years. As it was, still the fastest real car (car with more than one seat, actual fenders, license plate, etc). Beat big dollar Vettes and Porsches and M3s on the power course that the BMW Club tends to build. How is this all related to the Edelbrock supercharger? Same guy that headed up that MP62 design when at Magnusson Superchargers is the same guy who put this TVS900 kit together at Edelbrock. The result will be similar... I know that at the end of the day our Edelbrock Supercharged Racing ND will be crushing all comers with this setup in a way that is just not easily done with other choices of boost. Did I beat the turbo Miatas yesterday, including Turbo Catfish that made much higher numbers on the dyno? Yes, may not happen at every track day but happens every autocross I bring this car to. Not all boost is created equal, there is so much more to it than the naked numbers that forum mobs want to froth about endlessly. Power is worthless without control. To me it is astounding that a 10 year old project supercharged miata on shit tires can be dusted off (first time I raced it THIS YEAR) and own the field. That should raise some eyebrows about the potential of this very similar design Edelbrock kit. Though street drivers many never understand the difference, racing in close confines of autocross reveals flaws in power delivery like no other competition can. Keyboard racers don't get it, those who do race will understand the difference.
NC-Beast.jpg
Anyway, that's my soapbox for today...back to logging and testing and actually getting stuff done. Be sure to look into our other ND thread here on our Racing ND as our focus will shift soon to that installation of this same blower....but with E85 and a much more racing focused install.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

NathanD277 wrote:Awesome to know. Are you trying out the 2.5" mid pipe this time?

As time permits this week I want to put on the header and 2.5 midpipe and go to the dyno. As you know, clean laminar flow makes a difference...and I hope to see that difference in our results here soon. If we run out of time then this car stays our CARB setup so my wife can daily drive it, so fast even in CARB config!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

WIFE APPROVED!

Big day for the new Edelbrock kit. Believe it or not, been so busy with testing that my wife just got her first drive of the new setup in HER car today. I just shut up and took notes of what she said, which included:

Does what you want it to do...faster.
Torque!
Sporty!
Extra zoom!

At lunch she explained that she 'was worried' that car she loved so much would be 'gone' with this install. She is very happy to discover today that it is still the same car...drive it totally normal if you like and it feels normal, use the power when you want, just 'feels like a bigger motor.' My racecars often fail the wife test as too loud and intense, today this new kit passed with flying colors.
Attachments
WifeApproved.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NathanD277

Post by NathanD277 »

Even with the header and muffler? Nice!
2017 Meteor Gray Club
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

More direct from my wife today by email:

I just got back from my first time driving my car with the supercharger....and I am happy to report it is WIFE APPROVED! I admit I was hesitant to even get the supercharger, feeling it might become another toy that was too intense for my daily driving or long trips up the coast. However, my first impression was that it felt similar, yet enhanced. There was no learning curve or time needed to get used to it, it just simply went...and boy did it go! It is as if this is how the car should have started, it simply does what stock does but better. It is zippy and quick without feeling out of control or harsh. I was instantly comfortable and happy that not only did I still love my car, but I love it even more. Andi
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

NathanD277 wrote:Even with the header and muffler? Nice!

Expected a lot more sound with our experience with the NC application and the MP62 blowers, but the sound result is surprisingly mild.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com