New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: New Good-Win Racing Project ND RF!

Post by Brian »

Bohemian wrote:As a current owner of an NC+FMSC, I'm curious as to what the intercooler looks like in this setup. Have any pix you can share?

Also, does this ND still have the stock header?
Well, install complete so we cannot see intercooler, best we have on that is original SEMA peek of it partially slid out from it's home. On this car CARB install means stock header.
Attachments
IntercoolerE.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

More pics...

Love the FACTORY looking super clean install. If you skipped the stickers and lifted the hood at car events only the Miata faithful would even know something is unique here.
Attachments
RF-E2.jpg
RF-E1.jpg
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rastap

Post by rastap »

Will your strut tower brace fit over the supercharger? I also love the factory look and I'm so happy they decided to produce a CARB version.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

More Details on TVS900 Supercharger:

EATON’s latest 6th Generation supercharger rotor technology found in industry factory installs such as the Corvette ZR-1, the Cadillac CTS-V, and the Mustang GT500.

Eaton’s new Twin Vortices Series (TVS) is a Roots-type supercharger for a variety of engine applications that delivers more power and better fuel economy in a smaller package, for uncompromising, high-performance driving.

The TVS supercharger’s patented design features four-lobe rotors and high-flow inlet and outlet ports that greatly enhance thermal efficiency, deliver higher volumetric capacity, and enable higher operating speeds. The TVS supercharger is capable of running with a high thermal efficiency (up to 76 percent) across a very wide operating range.

The improvements incorporated into the TVS design allow for the use of a smaller supercharger, reducing the package size and weight of the system. All TVS superchargers have a 2.4 pressure ratio capability and a thermal efficiency that exceeds 70 percent, which enables more compact packaging and greater output.

The twin four-lobe rotors feature 160-degree twists. The higher helix angle of the rotors coupled with a redesigned inlet and outlet ports, improves the TVS’s air-handling characteristics without increasing the overall size of the unit. The TVS improved noise and vibration characteristics eliminate additional noise-reduction treatments, complexity and system cost.

The TVS Roots supercharger sets a new standard of boosting device performance and reaffirms Eaton’s leadership in the performance automotive market.
Attachments
TVSLobes.jpg
TVSLobes.jpg (57.46 KiB) Viewed 8053 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

rastap wrote:Will your strut tower brace fit over the supercharger?
No idea, that's a few miles down the priority list at this moment....but will get to checking that eventually.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
GilbertF809

Post by GilbertF809 »

How soon do you think before we see TQ/HP numbers post tune?? 8)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

As soon as.....it's ready. :lol:

Car has been on the dyno since last week, lots of calibration and learning.

Already happy with results...but not letting results out of the bag until finished.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Starting into my long distance testing today, did my first 100 mile non-stop freeway blast with the supercharger! This is the CARB install ...with CARB tune by the crew at Edelbrock. The first impression is that this version of the kit feels like the factory installed a 2.5 liter Skyactiv instead of the normal 2.0 Skyactiv. In other words, feels like a bigger motor, not like a boosted motor. It is so well integrated, so smooth, so Q-Ship....particularly with totally stock exhaust system and stock intake currently on our RF for testing purposes. I am excited to drive it soon with muffler and intake....and then header....then track days....soon! In the meantime, passing slower cars on the freeway with this totally CARB install is just a little extra flick of the gas pedal, no downshift and no pedal to the floor for passing...just about an extra inch of pedal gives you plenty of EXTRA top gear surge ahead of that slow guy in the fast lane ...with a big grin on my face. :D
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

Brian,

How would you compare it to a supercharged NC?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

halfpint wrote:Brian,

How would you compare it to a supercharged NC?
Same Engineer who led the NC kit development while at Magnuson Superchargers (they made it under contract for Cosworth initially), now at Edelbrock. So, no surprise this is in many ways an updated version of his NC kit, with much newer blower design but otherwise more similar than different. The big difference in feel is the much newer design TVS blower. When the NC kit was developed that MP62 design was already many years long in the tooth. I still have our NC with the MP62, and that now that blower feels prehistoric in comparison to the smoothness of this TVS900.

I really never felt the MP62 was rough or brash....until I drove this TVS900. That will be both good for some folks, and bad for some folks. With the MP62 you could never forget what a massive change you made to the car, from the moment you start my NC with that MP62 you can hear it, feel it, you know something big added... that blower sound and extra mechanical noise is always present. In the NC there is a constant hyper-mechanical urgency. In stark contrast...with this TVS ND install you hear NOTHING new when you start the car, you hear almost nothing extra at idle, and if you are cruising the highway at 70mph at constant throttle you don't know it is there until you use more throttle. Result is the NC setup feels more hotrod, this feels more factory big motor. But, my NC has years of extra mods that took the result from a little over 200 to over 300, so perhaps in another year and lots of mods this ND install will feel more hotrod.

So overall MUCH quieter than the NC MP62 kit, unless you add an open intake you won't hear much from the TVS from the driver's seat (you can hear it with car on the dyno and the hood open). By the way, with the MP62 the sensor section was 10mm bigger with the included replacement airbox lid and that meant you could not easily mod that intake (at least until a number of years after intro MotoEast and TDR made special intakes for that kit). With this supercharger the intake box is kept 100% stock, and you can use ANY of the ND intakes already on the market. That's one big change from the NC kit. We do not currently offer an ND intake because our testing found no gains on normally aspirated ND, we expect much different results with the blower trying to suck so much more air through the setup. So, which intake should we plug on here to test?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com