RoadsterSport "SUPER-Q" vs Cobalt

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
tomybandit

RoadsterSport "SUPER-Q" vs Cobalt

Post by tomybandit »

I´m looking exhaust for MX5 NC 2006. I want better sound. Header, Midpipe is stock.
What is the difference between this exhausts? Pros and cons.
RoadsterSport "SUPER-Q" is about 10 to 15% louder than stock.
Cobalt???
I´m from Europe a here ist better price for Cobalt.

Tank you.
Tomy
fbirch

Re: RoadsterSport "SUPER-Q" vs Cobalt

Post by fbirch »

If you think you may later want to add a performance header and mid pipe, go with the Q. Based on a first hand drive of an NC Miata with the full Goodwin system - max header + Helmholtz mid pipe + Super Q muffler - I found that combination of parts to produce a very nice sound level and power bump.

If you are 100% sure you only want some added sound and will not want to add a header and mid pipe later - in other words, you are sure you only want a muffler - then you first have to decide how much additional sound you want. I spent a lot of time listening to YouTube clips and asking for feedback on miata.net. Based on all of that info I believe the Cobalt will be somewhat louder than the Super Q, probably 20-25% louder than stock for the Cobalt vs 10% - 15% louder than stock for the Q. If you prefer the louder muffler, you should also consider the Goodwin Roadster Sport II, which seems to be similar in overall loudness to the Cobalt, or the Goodwin Street Single, which is probably a bit louder than both.

The Goodwin Roadster Sport II received high praise on Miata.net from several people who have it and have tried many other mufflers. Based on that positive feedback and the volume increase I'm looking for, I just ordered the Roadster Sport II and haven't received it yet. But I'll be sure to post here and let you know how I like it after I get it on the car.
olgzr

Post by olgzr »

I have had the RSII for several years. (Stock header and midpipe) To me, the sound is perfect with the top down. With the top up, it's a little loud with a little drone. I've played with the stock baffles and found that by installing only one baffle, it makes the sound perfect for me with the top up. They also sell the packed baffle that will reduce the sound even more. I don't have one of them but it's available if needed. The thing I like best about the GWR mufflers is the adjustability of the sound using the baffles they sell.
KirkJ447

Post by KirkJ447 »

The Super Q is great you can control the sound with your right foot. I think for best results though do the header and midpipe also.
tomybandit

Post by tomybandit »

Thanks guys...this is what I want to hear :)
fbirch

Post by fbirch »

Got the RS II muffler yesterday and the craftsmanship was stellar. Installation was easy. I really like the sound - deeper than stock with a slight burble on throttle lift. I'm running it with no baffles and don't find it to be too loud with the top up or down. It could have been a touch louder for my taste, but I think the volume is just about right to not become tiresome on a long drive. Overall I'm very pleased.