ND Full Exhaust vs. Tune

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
awales74

ND Full Exhaust vs. Tune

Post by awales74 »

I've been considering a full exhaust and tune for my ND. My Google-Fu has returned my numbers on the exhaust AND orange virus tune but I can't find anything that separates the modifications. I want to know where the best bang for the buck lies. I'm also concerned with the impact of the tune on the longevity of the car (I don't want 10hp at the cost my engine in 10k miles). And to be honest, i'm concerned about buying software from a company named orange virus.

Anyways, a dyno pic of the header w/ stock tune and ov tune on stock car would be appreciated.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: ND Full Exhaust vs. Tune

Post by Brian »

It is not 'Exhaust vs. Tune' ....these are symbiotic mods.

Each mod is fully dependent on the other. You add the header, it allows the engine to breath better and that allows the car to run more ignition timing, and you then add the tune to get that timing and other calibration improvements to max the gains of the combo.

In other words, you tune to the limits of your setup...and with stock header/cat that limit is simply a lot lower.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
awales74

Re: ND Full Exhaust vs. Tune

Post by awales74 »

Thanks. Maybe everyone that changes headers also goes through a tune; track cars etc.. But I would have thought it would be a little more scientific; Stock, stock with tune, exhaust, exhaust with tune. All done on the same dyno. No questions. Do either or both really justify the cost.