2012 PRHT SC application

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
quadnad

2012 PRHT SC application

Post by quadnad »

First time poster here, though I've been reading for a little while now.

I have a 2012 PRHT with 22k mi to which I've added an AEM intake and Goodwin headers/midpipe/super Q exhaust. Everything was installed and tuned at MotoEast, and is my daily driver. As much as I have enjoyed the MX5 I want more power, so am considering either selling it (the more expensive option) or alternatively upgrading to forced induction (the cheaper, but arguably less reliable option).

Regarding supercharger kits, it looks like the MP62 is the obvious option. Since this is my daily driver, reliability is paramount - is there anything aside from anecdotes that can give me comfort over reliability? Without going overboard (I expect the kit alone, including installation, will be more than $6k all told), are there other supporting modifications that are necessary such as a clutch? Any recommendations regarding which parts would be most appropriate for a daily driver would be much appreciated!
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2012 PRHT SC application

Post by Brian »

Yes, going to need the clutch with that supercharger.....sooner or later.

Might need a cooling upgrade too, depending on your driving and ambient temps. Since your thin stock radiator is over 5 years old, good time to just replace it with one of our upgraded units when the blower is added.

For street driving that is really all you need.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
quadnad

Post by quadnad »

Thanks Brian, much appreciated.

Regarding the clutch, it looks like the Exedy and ACT Stage 1 are the two options - for a daily driver looking for max reliability is there an obvious choice between them?

For the rad, I assume your recommendation would be the GR Triple-Pass?

Thanks again.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

If you are asking for 'max reliability' with supercharger then the ACT Clutch is right call.

GR Triple-Pass is the best....though perhaps overkill if pure street use in the plans. You could use our regular KOYO or CSF. If track days are in the plans or it gets real HOT in the Summer then indeed the GR Triple-Pass gives you the best insurance policy. Your 2012 has oil/coolant heat exchanger from the factory, so for street duty you do not need our upgraded oil cooler but understand that stock exchanger is dumping the extra oil heat into your coolant, so good radiator needed since it is handling heat rejection from both your coolant and your oil.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
quadnad

Post by quadnad »

Understood, thanks very much for the prompt input!