Big Brake Advice for ND

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
avera01

Big Brake Advice for ND

Post by avera01 »

Looking for advice to upgrade the front brakes for primarily for street use and occasional mountain roads. I am trying to determine if the upgrading to a 4 or 6 piston caliper is worth the upgrade based on the below criteria:

1) Noise: I am aware that the Wilwood brakes are "racing brakes" and probably will be a bit nosier than stock (non-Brembo). The stock calipers are quiet and I don't expect much in terms of "rattle"; I don't know how the Brembo fair in that regard.

2) Maintenance and Appearance: The stock caliper are fairly easy to maintain, but I do not like the "cheap" appearance of the stock calipers and painting the front ones does not change that. Most likely will paint the rear as the issue with the emergency brake is a concern for me.

3) Performance: I welcome better braking performance especially for the few times I plan on driving in the mountains.

So what should I expect from the upgrade (what is the compromise, if any?

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Big Brake Advice for ND

Post by Brian »

Perhaps spend time in the threads of customers to get their impressions, like Mark Booth's thread at Miata.net thread (link here).

I prefer the feel of the 6 piston, but I race the car. Around town the difference in feel between 4 and 6 is not something most will notice. When pads are almost worn out you might notice they 'click' into place when you hit the brake pedal, some notice and some do not (reason is no retaining springs like stock calipers which keep the pads aligned all the time). I have used racing calipers so long that I don't notice. That's about it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Hi Brian,

A follow up question to the 4 and 6 piston brakes, are the black ones Powder-coated or anodized? I read somewhere else that the black anodized finish turns purple over time due to high heat and is not as resilient as a Powder-coated finish.

Andrew
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Not seen any issue on the finish despite years of track days, mine at the track again last weekend.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

I installed the front 6-piston Wilwoods about 3 weeks ago. I bedded them in, using my original stock rotors. They are effective and quiet, despite 2-3 good workouts in the hills between Davis and Napa. I'll put them to a better test at MRLS on 2/26 with the Lotus Club, but I'm confident that I won't have any braking issues.
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Hi Brian,

Thanks, that is good to know that the Black calipers hold up to heavy use. But to confirm, are they anodized? And its is a flat, satin or glossy finish?

I have the red GT and have painted the calipers glossy black as the stock grey ones look "cheap" for such a beautiful looking car. For me, the black color offers a better contrast with a red car (would have preferred yellow calipers with a red car) even added white vinyl "Mazda" lettering. Looks good, but I seek the BBK.

Andrew
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

mine are black and they are glossy - appears to be paint fwiw...
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
avera01

Post by avera01 »

Thanks for the information Ron, that helps with the decision.