Finished installing Roadster Sport Race on ND

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
awales74

Finished installing Roadster Sport Race on ND

Post by awales74 »

Just finished installing my Roadster Sport Race muffler. Total newb mechanic so it took me a bit.

But the results are absolute riot. It's quiet at idle and alley/drive way speeds. It's bold with your foot down. But not substantially more volume at high RPM. Fun sounds as you down shift.

Being a newb -- got some newb questions.

1 - are there torque specs on the bolts to the mid pipe? They were pretty hard to take off so I put 'em on pretty hard. But I'm sure there's more science to it then that. I actually have a torque wrench -- love the chance to use it :)

2 - it seems like there were nuts on the back of the original muffler but they were welded on. these spring loaded bolts I think of as 3 parts -- bolt, spring, and nut. but there's no nut if its welded on to the original? It seems the plate on the race muffler is thicker -- does that make up for no bolt?

3 - do the rubber hanger thingies really work as well when used the second time. they seemed alot easier to put on than take off. I might have had everything pretty well lubed or I may have a better idea of what I was trying to do when putting them back on. Just seemed a little too easy.

4 - is there a break in period in terms of performance. i have a OFT tablet and I hear that I can send in data log of a 3rd gear pull but I should wait till I get my exhaust. So I have it, do I do the pull now or should I wait a while? In terms of sound should I expect changes as time goes on?

Appreciate the help and appreciate the muffler. Zoom Zoom.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Finished installing Roadster Sport Race on ND

Post by Brian »

Glad you like it. Per the product description the torque is 30ft/lbs. Muffler flange is threaded, so you don't need the nut. Yes, rubber hangers are plenty good for many, many, changes. I have changed the muffler on my ND a few hundred times, still got the original rubber hangers. You are good to go on log and tune. Muffler sound will 'break-in' as the inside metal surfaces get coated with carbon and that will slightly mellow the sound.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
awales74

Post by awales74 »

After a month, I went back to check my work on the exhaust.

Notice some carbon between midpipe and muffler. Am I not seated well? I had gone back to check torque and everything seemed ok.

Also noticed more carbon on the tip than expected. Is this to be expected with a straight pipe exhaust? No big muffler to catch the carbon? Had been fighting a knock retard issue with OFT -- can the excess carbon be from running to rich due to the knock retard?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Indeed it sounds like it is running rich.

That rear joint to muffler is a dry sprung joint that moves a lot....and it will pass both water and carbon deposit without there being a sound leak issue. You can try a fresh gasket, our item on site HERE. But given your comment about excessive carbon around the tip, my guess is your tune is running rich. Get some logs done to your Tuner about that is my suggestion.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com