NA Miata Engine Swap Question

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
LateNights

NA Miata Engine Swap Question

Post by LateNights »

Heyas

Quick question - can anyone tell me what might be involved with swapping the 124 Spider engine into an NA3?

Thanks

Matt
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NA Miata Engine Swap Question

Post by Brian »

Certainly possible... but a motor swap from scratch means lots of custom bracket work, custom engine mounts, etc. Unless your fabrication skills are REALLY good, far easier to add one of the many turbo or supercharger kits to a Miata motor that already bolts up to your NA3.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

I'd get a shop to do the work - but first I thought I'd try to get a feel for whether it will actually fit without firewall cutting etc. before I get way too hung up on the idea.

That said, whilst I understand the existing kits are a better option, my heart lies with this swap - it "feels" almost like a factory upgrade of sorts, like a newer Porsche motor in an older Porsche.

Regardless, it's a long way from happening right this moment, but if it's not too crazy it may just happen when I get more serious about a track car.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, small 1.4 turbo motor....it will get in there pretty easily compared to most engine conversions.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

Any thoughts on a transmission?

I believe the Fiat uses the NC 6 speed - that's not likely to fit is it?

Is the NB box strong enough?

Mind that I'd up the power somewhat with boost and/or an exhaust at the very least.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Go a dozen more threads down the page to Ryan's LFX Swap into NA project. That will give you an idea of the work involved, whether it is 6 piston or 4 piston won't make too much difference. And there is a kit for that LFX swap, makes a lot more sense for a track beast than the Fiat motor (he had a turbo Miata motor in that NA for years before starting into this new swap).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

:lol:

Might have misspoke when I said track car - I'd call Ryan's car a race car...

I meant a secondary car that I wouldn't mind taking to the track - more akin to some of the "retro modded" cars you see on miata.net with at least some consideration for performance - but nothing likely to get me killed!!

LFX certainly looks to be a more than decent swap though, and I will get around to reading through the thread in the next few days - but as far as a motor goes, as I said earlier if it's at all possible I'm set on the little Fiat donk.
LateNights

Post by LateNights »

Hey, any chance you've met a guy Jack Olsen at Willow Springs?

He races an older Porsche with a newer motor, supposedly he actually takes some of the Porsche instruction days as well (as an instructor).

Just wondering because he's on another forum I frequent - The Garage Journal - and I noticed you'd raced at the same track!