New Singular MotorSports Hood Vents

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
skeeler

Re: New Singular MotorSports Hood Vents

Post by skeeler »

Cool. Thanks.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Finally some pictures of the Singular Motorsports hood louver kit for the NC out in the wild! These are one key to the new round of improvements going into Brian's supercharged MX-5 to improve cooling and aero.
MX5-Supercharged-cosworth.jpg
MX5-Supercharged-cosworth.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 22213 times
MX5-Supercharged-Hood-Vents.jpg
MX5-Supercharged-Hood-Vents.jpg (106.05 KiB) Viewed 22213 times
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Alongside launching the hood louver kit for the NC comes the version for the RX-8.

Customer Mike W. bought a set of the NC louvers and fitted them to his RX-8 because it desperately needed better cooling. He had such great results that we developed a kit for the RX-8 with a cutting template specific to that car to make install nice and easy for everyone else:
SMS RX-8 Louvers.JPG
SMS RX-8 Louvers.JPG (104.95 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
SMS RX-8 Louvers (2).JPG
SMS RX-8 Louvers (2).JPG (62.92 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
Here's what Mike had to say:

Keeping the RX8 cool under track conditions has been a challenge for the past few years. Performance wise I couldn't be more pleased. Previously the water temp would reach 210 degrees F going down the long straight away at Auto Club Speedway prompting me to roll out off the throttle a bit. This past weekend I was able to go flat out all the way through turn 2 and the water temp never climbed above 190.
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Quite a few Singular Motorsports hood vents out at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway this past weekend:
SMS_Louvers_at_chuckwalla.jpg
Sean @ GWR

Post by Sean @ GWR »

Color coordinated louver installed on this very clean Club Edition NC.
23983746523_6032bb0259_k.jpg
NavyLt

Post by NavyLt »

Brian, I have an '09 SCed NC2 with your catted street header/mid pipe and Mazdaspeed exhaust. In our current hot weather the coolant temperature is steady at 190F, reaching 210F in stop and go traffic. I have been interested in these hood louvres for a while now, especially since they now come powder coated. My car is a daily driver year round. Will these louvres allow too much rain or snow into the engine bay for a DD? The car is always parked underground and driven mainly on the weekends, as I walk to work. Thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Well, first those temps are not bad at all. In fact, when Cosworth built my last 2.0 they said they want to see the motor ideally running 209F for water and 209F for oil. That's an ideal they admit never really happens, in reality usually a few over or under. So, I would not say you have temp issues in current config.

For autocross I had the issue of running the car hard and then coming to stop in the grid and my SC 2007 would then spike instantly over 220F and more with all that heat to get rid of and the car not moving. So it now has the Singular louvers and other upgrades and now sitting in grid that temp spike is gone. Have not had issue with rain, when car driven in the rain you get a ton of it through the front grille, the only interesting change is that some drops of water coming through the grille now exiting through the louvers. We don't get snow here so I cannot comment much on that.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NavyLt

Post by NavyLt »

Thanks for the good info, Brian. Much appreciated. I may just have to order the hood vents to make the car look meaner!
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Singular Motorsports NC hood louvers, pictures courtesy of customer Tom Taylor.
20170118_133040.jpg
20170118_133004-1.jpg
Ryan @ GWR

Post by Ryan @ GWR »

Beautiful blue RX8 came in for hood louver install. Install performed by Rocky's Miatomotive.
Singular_RX8 (4).JPG
Singular_RX8 (3).JPG
Singular_RX8 (2).JPG
Singular_RX8 (1).JPG