Mazdaspeed 3 AEM Cold Air Intake

Mazda 2, Mazda 3 and 6 Parts and Performance from Intakes to Headers, Exhaust, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits... it's all there.
jjuhring

Mazdaspeed 3 AEM Cold Air Intake

Post by jjuhring »

I just purchased and installed the AEM Cold Air Intake on my 2008 MS3.
There's definitely a difference in performance both in power delivery and total output.
There used to be a slight 'hitch' in part-throttle acceleration at around 3,500 rpm with the factory intake, that has vanished with the AEM CAI. It now feels smooth all the way up through the rev range.
Power gain is significant as it now feels like it pulls as hard as my old 2006 EVO MR.
One drawback, at least for me, is the new intake 'noise' it now makes. Some may like it, but it's just not pleasing to me.
Any suggestions for reducing the intake sound volume without hurting performance?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

There are small changes to that sound level that can be accomplished with sound deadening materials available on the market (brands include Dynamat, etc). You could likely make a little sound box for the filter that would swallow much of the sound and yet not interfere with the performance.....look at the isolation boxes we use for the Miata Monsterflow intakes for 99 to 05 application for idea of what I am talking about.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
WarpSpeed3

Cold Air Intake

Post by WarpSpeed3 »

jjuhring, my C.A.I. installation is only 24 hours old and I too have experienced an increase in power - leaving a light or stop sign, I start briskly in first, shift into second, release the clutch, then punch it and listen to the tires squeal (I could get a chirp or two before). That new whooshing sound sounds like there's something wrong, but it's not terribly loud, especially with the stereo and a/c on and windows closed. I'll probably just live with it since I don't find it terribly bothersome (I'm also semi-elderly and have some mild hearing loss). I'm more concerned about heavy rains and puddles in the road during rainy season.