Clutch & flywheel shopping

Mazda RX7 and RX8 Suspension, Intakes, Headers, Exhaust, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
OZ-MAZ-5

Clutch & flywheel shopping

Post by OZ-MAZ-5 »

Hi Brian,

just wondering what clutch and flywheel set up you would recommend for a daily driver turbo charged RX8 with around 290-300HP ATW.

I don't want to comprimise too much on comfort and drivabilty if I have the choice, if that's not possible for a turbo application that's cool!

Cheers,

Anthony.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for asking. Are you drag racing at all? How much torque? Dyno measured? Any track days planned?
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
OZ-MAZ-5

Post by OZ-MAZ-5 »

Maybe the occational 1/4 mile and track day but nothing serious. And around 200+ Ft/Lbs!

Thanks Brian.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

OZ-MAZ-5 wrote:Maybe the occational 1/4 mile and track day but nothing serious. And around 200+ Ft/Lbs!

Thanks Brian.
Well, our $309 Exedy RX8 Heavy Duty Clutch with organic street disc would feel much like the stock RX8 clutch, with a very similar disengagement and just a little heavier pedal. This heavy duty RX8 clutch is rated up to torque of 237. This is your most "stock-like" feeling RX8 clutch upgrade. But if you drag race much, it won't last...despite that torque rating.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -0124.html

The next step up is our $459 Exedy Racing Stage II which is a three puck and feels more like a race clutch, which means more compromise in driveability....but rated all the way to a torque of 269 and it will take plenty of high rpm abuse.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -0248.html

The irony is that if we really want it all....we can sell you an Exedy HYPER Ceramic single or triple (ignoring the Exedy carbon single and double as not streetable choices because they need heat to work). Because these ceramic Exedy hyper kits use a forged aluminum cover for a much higher lever ratio to maintain reasonable pedal efforts, and a patented clutch cushioning function, driving a ceramic hyper stage 3 Exedy RX8 clutch can be EASIER than driving the stage II three puck. The apparent downside is that these hyper units cost double....nearly a grand. That seems like double the cost until you realize that this option INCLUDES the light Flywheel (making this RX8 Clutch combo not much more than the stage II with separate flywheel).

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -0276.html

Thus, my suggestion is either the heavy duty if you don't do too many 9000 rpm clutch dumps, because this choice is lowest cost and most STOCK-LIKE performance....or jump to stage III if you want to be free to do those big clutch dumps and still have reasonable pedal feel.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
OZ-MAZ-5

Post by OZ-MAZ-5 »

Wow, Brian. Thank you for such an indepth reply. It sounds like the way to go is the stage 3 which will give me no reason not to light em up (except the cost of rubber of couse). I will chat to my turbo guy on Monday to confirm exact torque figures.

Also it states the stage 3 still requires; adapter/counterweight N3Z2-11-52X. Do you sell these and what is the cost?

Thanks again!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

OZ-MAZ-5 wrote:Wow, Brian. Thank you for such an indepth reply. It sounds like the way to go is the stage 3 which will give me no reason not to light em up (except the cost of rubber of couse). I will chat to my turbo guy on Monday to confirm exact torque figures.

Also it states the stage 3 still requires; adapter/counterweight N3Z2-11-52X. Do you sell these and what is the cost?

Thanks again!
Yes, we have the Exedy Counterweight....here:

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -0278.html
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com