Roadstersport Midpipe Installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Croc999

Post by Croc999 »

I got full exhaust installed few days ago.

Midpipe was pretty straightforward - both to remove and to install.

My mechanic got header and muffler installed first.

Then the midpipe could be located only one single way.

O2 cable extention for the nearest sensor was a bit short - so we unclipped the black connector (that the cable goes into) from the engine and it gave enough length.
For the farest sensor was way too long (definitely better than too short :lol:). So we could route the cable as far away from the exhaust piping as possible.

Small issue - metal rod which is welded to the middle of the midpipe and goes into rubber "holder" (the part that holds midpipe suspended in the air) was a bit too long and touched PPF.
My mechanic just cut about 1 cm from it to make it shorter.

Gennady
t0ast

Re: Roadstersport midpipe installation

Post by t0ast »

I just completed the full I/H/M/E install last weekend. Everything seems to be great so far, except that I'm trying to track down an intermittent, metallic rattle which seems to be coming from somewhere along the midpipe.

When I pulled the pre-cat O2 sensor, it had a dish-shaped piece of metal sitting at the end of the threaded part. I couldn't figure out an easy way to get the washer/gasket that was holding it on the threads off, so I left it on. I managed to get the O2 sensor tightened down appropriately into the midpipe, but I'm not entirely confident that the metal dish is staying in place. I intend to crawl back under the car later this week to take a look.

If my suspicions are correct, is it normal for that piece to be present and occasionally rattle, or is it okay/possible to remove it? If I can remove it, how?
Small issue - metal rod which is welded to the middle of the midpipe and goes into rubber "holder" (the part that holds midpipe suspended in the air) was a bit too long and touched PPF. My mechanic just cut about 1 cm from it to make it shorter.
Mine seemed a little long as well. It didn't touch when I installed it, but it was pretty close, so it's my second suspect. I still need to make a small adjustment since my exhaust's tips are slightly skewed, but if that doesn't adequately move it away, I may seek out a similar fix.

Thoughts?
Last edited by t0ast on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2007 MX-5 Sport PRHT, BB, 5mt
AEM CAI, RoadsterSport Head+Mid+Q, H&R coilovers, FM Sways, Cobalt FSTB
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That little dish shaped item around the O2 sensor was a rattle issue on mine too. I don't have a special answer on that other than I kept messing with it until I got it tight enough that it did not rattle anymore.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
t0ast

Post by t0ast »

Brian wrote:That little dish shaped item around the O2 sensor was a rattle issue on mine too. I don't have a special answer on that other than I kept messing with it until I got it tight enough that it did not rattle anymore.
Good news: Fiddling around with it a bit did the trick for me as well. It's nice and tight now. Thanks!

Bad news: My other suspicion regarding the midpipe's hanger was also correct. It's still really close to that chassis piece and since its rattle isn't being drowned out by the O2 sensor's loose dish now, I can hear it. Time to schedule a quick trip to one of the local shops to get it trimmed down a bit. After that, it should be perfect :mrgreen:
2007 MX-5 Sport PRHT, BB, 5mt
AEM CAI, RoadsterSport Head+Mid+Q, H&R coilovers, FM Sways, Cobalt FSTB
A.L.F.

Post by A.L.F. »

In regards to the nut/stud connecting midpipe to header, if the nut remains stuck to the stud, why isn't it possible to reuse the factory nut/stud if this happens?

If this nut/stud can be removed, why can't it be reinserted? I imagine it's related to the nut preventing the stud from reaching the threads of the header or something related to the spring being hard to compress thus preventing the stud from reaching its connection point.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That's right, if the nut/stud won't separate then it is very tough to re-install them.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Gecko

Post by Gecko »

Anyone getting a P0420 CEL with the RS midpipe cat? I have this on my NB ('04) and after several months the CEL light came on. Changed the upstream sensor and ligth went away for about 4 months.

Checked at the dealer and said that the ECU doesn't recognize the cat. Sometimes it goes away on its on but come back after 100miles or so. The dealer said to ignore.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We have a regular issue on 1999 and 2000 year with failure of coils destroying the converters but VERY rare to hear of any issues on 2001 through 2005. I will assume you have checked to make sure the car is not running too rich (spark plug gap proper, good plug wires, clean air filter, good PCV valve, no soot evidence on muffler tip, etc). If all that checks out and you want to have factory inspect for insufficient catalyst contact us by email for details.

A potentially easy solution is try to back the second O2 sensor a little out of the stream of flow so it is a little less sensitive (do a google search for "antifouler trick" for the thousand websites that show you how to take this one dollar item from local autoparts store and use it to back second sensor out of the stream to avoid this code.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Gecko

Post by Gecko »

Following are good: Plug wires and air filter were replaced with ULTA and AEM respectively. Good PCV valve (no signs of wear or leak), no evidence of soot on muffler tip.

CEL first appeared with original plugs (mileage was around 30k). Thought that was the issue and replaced plugs. Will check plug gap.
Should I inspect for insufficient catalyst before resorting to the antifouler trick?

I also have the RS muffler. All parts were purchased here and very pleased with the service level.

Thanks.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The antifouler trick avoids the trouble of sending back the unit for inspection, so it might prove less effort and less downtime. But assuming you still have the factory midpipe to slot in there in the meantime, contact us by email for details on getting that back to the factory if you like.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com