AEM Installation Instructions 2006 Miata

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Brian
Site Admin

AEM Installation Instructions 2006 Miata

Post by Brian »

COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM

Installation Instructions for:
Part Number 21-640
2006 Mazda MX-5 CAS

Congratulations! You have just purchased the finest Air Induction & Filtration system for your car at any price!

The AEM Cold Air System is the result of extensive development on a wide variety of cars. Each system is engineered for the particular application. The AEM Cold Air System differs from all others in several ways. We take the inlet air from outside of the engine compartment where the inlet air is considerably cooler than the hot under hood air. The cooler inlet air temperature translates to more power during the combustion process because cool air is denser than warm air. AEM has conducted extensive inlet air temperature studies and we have seen temperature reductions of up to 50 degrees by pulling air from outside of the engine compartment. The air mass flow to the engine is increased because of the increased airflow and reduced inlet temperature, which translates to more power. The AEM Cold Air Systems are 50 states Street Legal (some model and years still pending) and come with complete instructions for ease of installation.

Our system is constructed of lightweight aluminum and then painted with a zirconia based powder coat for superior heat insulating characteristics. The aluminum will not crack in extended use like plastic and it is actually lighter than plastic. The tube diameter and length are matched for each engine to give power over a broad rpm range. Unlike the plastic systems that use a continually diverging cross section, we take advantage of the acoustical energy in the duct to promote cylinder filling during the intake valve-opening event.

Bill of materials for: 21-640
Quantity Part Number Description
1 2-704 Upper Intake Pipe
1 2-705 Lower Intake Pipe
1 21-203D Mazda Air Filter 3.0 x 5 Dry
1 5-278 MX-5 Coupler, 2.75"
1 1-4005 Filter Sock 5"
1 103-BLO-4820 #48 Hose Clamp
1 103-BLO-4420 #44 Hose Clamp
2 1228598 Rubber Mount 5/8" X 6MM
4 444.460.04 6mm Nylok Nut
4 559999 6mm Flat Washer
1 5-273 2.75/3.0 Hose Adapter
2 1-2023 Bolt, socket 8-32 x 5/16" SS
1 10-7541 Instructions
2 10-922S AEM Silver Decal
1 10-400W License Plate Frame

Read and understand these instructions BEFORE attempting to install this product.
Note: This kit requires the removal and reinstallation of both the bumper and emissions related components. If you are not familiar with the removal / installation and/or the operation of these components then please refer this installation to a qualified professional.
1) Getting started
a) Make sure vehicle is parked on a level surface.
b) Set parking brake.
c) Disconnect both positive and negative battery terminals.
d) If engine has run within the past two hours let it cool down.

2) Removing the stock air inlet system

a) Before removing any of the O.E. components, label each individual part so that no components become mixed up during the installation process. b) Unclip the hard plastic breather hose from the breather nipple by squeezing the blue retaining clip. Slide the purge solenoid valve (PSV) toward the back of the car to remove it from the steel mount on the inlet hose. Unclip the wire harness.

c) Unplug the MAF sensor from the wiring harness. d) Unclip the MAF sensor wiring harness from the side of the air filter housing.

e) Unscrew the Inlet tube from the throttle body and the air filter housing. Remove the inlet tube. f) Remove the air filter housing lid by unhooking the metal retaining clips and sliding the lid out.

g) Remove the lower air filter housing and filter by removing the two nuts securing the housing to the chassis. Next, lift up on the back side of the housing and remove it from the vehicle. h) Remove the retaining clips and bolts securing the driver side splash shield to the bumper and chassis. Remove the splash shield.

i) Remove the retaining clips and bolts securing the passenger side splash shield to the bumper and chassis. Remove the splash shield. j) Remove the clips and bolts securing the center splash shield to the front bumper.

k) Remove the clips and bolts securing the driver side front fender liner and remove the liner. Disconnect the fog light and side marker light from the wiring harness. l) Remove the clips and bolts securing the passenger side front fender liner and remove the liner. Disconnect the fog light and side marker light from the wiring harness.

m) In the grill on the bumper there are two removable plastic covers. Remove these to reveal two bolts securing the bumper to the bumper support. Remove the two bolts n) Remove the bolt securing the bumper to the driver side fender where the fender liner was removed.

o) Remove the bolt securing the bumper to the passenger side fender where the fender liner was removed. p) Remove the bolts securing the bumper to the radiator support on the driver side.

q) Remove the bolts securing the bumper to the chassis on the passenger side. Carefully remove the front bumper and set aside in a safe place. r) Remove the inlet air hose by removeing the two retaining clips and the bolt securing it to the chassis.

s) Unhook the wiring harness from the horn attached to the bumper support. Remove the 4 driver side bolts securing the bumper support to the chassis, Remove the plastic clips securing the plastic splash shield between the bumper support and the chassis. t) Remove the 4 remaining bolts securing the bumper support to the chassis on the passenger side. Remove the bumper support.

u) Remove the plastic splash shield from the bumper support v) Stock system removed

w) Remove the stock MAF sensor from the air filter housing. Be careful not to damage the MAF sensor. x) Remove the plastic breather nipple and the steel PSV bracket from the previously removed inlet tube.

3) Installing the AEM CAS Intake
When installing the Cold Air Intake System, DO NOT completely tighten the hose clamps or
mounting tab hardware until instructed to do so later in these instructions.

a) Install the plastic breather hose nipple from the stock inlet tube into the supplied EPDM coupler and secure using the stock spring clamp.
b) Install the steel PSV bracket from the stock inlet tube into the slot on the supplied EPDM coupler.

c) Remove the two stock hose clamps from the stock inlet tube and install them onto the EPDM coupler. Install the coupler onto the throttle body and secure. d) Slide the PSV onto the bracket previously installed on the EPDM coupler. Plug the plastic breather hose onto the nipple. Be sure both are secure before proceeding.

e) Install the MAF sensor into the upper intake pipe (2-704) and secure using the two supplied 8-32 bolts. Install the reducing couple onto the end of the pipe and secure using the supplied #44 hose clamp as shown. f) Check that the inside of the AEM upper intake pipe is free and clear of any debris. Install the pipe into the EPDM coupler on the throttle body and secure using the stock hose clamp. Plug in the MAF sensor harness.

g) Install the supplied 5/8� rubber mount in the location shown. Secure using the supplied flat washer and nylock nut. h) Install the other supplied 5/8� rubber mount in the location shown. Secure using the supplied flat washer and nylock nut.

i) Check that the inside of the AEM lower intake pipe is free and clear of any debris. Install the pipe into the reducing coupler on the upper intake pipe and align the pipe brackets with the rubber mounts. Once aligned, secure the pipe using a #48 hose clamp. j) Secure the pipe bracket to the rubber mount using a flat washer and 6mm nut.

k) Secure the other pipe bracket using the remaining flat washer and nylock nut. . l) Install the AEM filter on to the end of the inlet tube. Push the filter over the inlet pipe until the stop in the filter is reached and install one hose clamp to secure the filter onto the inlet pipe.

m) Reinstall the front bumper support using the 8 previously removed bolts. Check that the filter is not touching any part of the vehicle. n) Position the AEM intake for best fitment. Tighten the nuts on the mounting brackets. Re-adjust the pipe if necessary.

Before After

Re-assemble the vehicle
a) Reinstall the bumper and splash shields. Check for proper intake fitment and readjust if needed.
b) Inspect the engine bay for any loose tools and check that all fasteners that were moved or removed are properly tight.
c) Reconnect the battery cables to the battery (always connect positive first).
d) Start the vehicle and check for proper operation of all the components that were removed.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
zonads

cool

Post by zonads »

Thanks for these detailed instructions Brian! This will definitely be the first upgrade I put on my '06. It seems like it will take a little longer than the AEM intake I put on my 2nd gen Miata, which took about an hour and was pretty easy.

I noticed on AEM's website they haven't even listed this intake yet, and there's no dyno chart anywhere... do you get the "growl" from under the hood like the AEM for the 2nd gen Miata provided? R&T says that their club spec made 190 horse with simply a cold air intake and cat-free axhaust.... http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp ... e_number=3

sounds aweful tempting to swap out the catalytic converter every two years when its time for another emmisions test here in Colorado :twisted: of course, its illegal and I would never do that :roll: I wonder if the check engine light is always on without a cat hmmm

Oh yeah here's my questions if you don't mind

1: I'm not familiar with removing emissions related components (or a bumper for that matter!), is it hard to mess anything up as long as we're careful?

2: How much time should we expect to need to instal this?

3: Does this intake have a warranty?

Thanks Brian

-z
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The intake takes time but there is nothing about it that the average guy can't do in his driveway...all easy to reach items and no special tools needed. I would say a weekend afternoon will do it. Also, AEM covers any issues you might have.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
zonads

Post by zonads »

thx sir

I also found the other Topic with pictures... good stuff
zoom on

Post by zoom on »

ok ok I've looked and looked- can't find the AEM installation pics..any help would be greatly app. going to start installing soon as it gets here and altho Brian gave GREAT written instr.(thanks again Brian) I'd really like to see it too.... :)
zoom on

Post by zoom on »

ok never mind found them too...
zoom on

AEM cai

Post by zoom on »

Just insatlled the AEM intake you sent me --too cool-- havent driven it yet but sounds good in the driveway :D . Thanks for all your advice and help Brian; I was a little hesitant to rip the nose off but alls well, you were right piece of cake the only problem (forgot to install the mesh cover on the filter--what a pain to do later) anyway thanks again between the Roadster duels and aem I'm a little short now but next lottery win :) going for the sways ..
LeeV

AEM Installation Pics

Post by LeeV »

I must be blind....I can't find the pics anywhere!
~Lee 2006 MX-5 True Red, GrandTouring, susp. pkg, HID, etc...
miataman

Post by miataman »

Approximately how many hours did the installation of the AEM CAI take you?
How long would you expect a first-timer to need for the job?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Figure about 3 hours...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com