Removing AC From Cosworth Supercharged NC, Alternator too

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
v67gsr

Re: Removing AC From Cosworth Supercharged NC, Alternator to

Post by v67gsr »

Morning Brian.

I have couple questions about the installation.

1) I am quite lost with the "Tree" adapter. IMO, we don't really need that. The header hard line can connect directly to T stat housing upper exit. Then the throttle coolant tube can also route directly from engine head to throttle body. The "tree" adapter seem like am "extra" piece of unnecessary parts in the whole coolant network. Did you use that "tree"?

2) I have problem with the hoses came with the kit. Especially when dealing with the connections to the front mount inter-cooler. The hoses are too big. Seem to me it will not seal even with hose clamp. How did you deal with that?

Those are my problem so far. Next stage will be dropping the supercharger in place. Hopefully everything will be nice and smooth.

Thanks for any input.
v67gsr

Post by v67gsr »

One more thing

The S/C unit is a lot heavier compare to stock manifold and runners. All that weight will hold and mount onto the engine head. I wonder if you have any kind of additional mount to form the S/C to the block for extra support?

Thanks
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Very right on that silly tree thing....we didn't use it.

I don't recall issue with the hose diameter to intercooler.

Didn't make any extra support brackets and racing it since 2008 we have not had issues.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
v67gsr

Post by v67gsr »

Thx Brian

The installation was not as smooth as we would like. That tree thing wasted us quite a bit of time.

We spend a lot of time finding the best routing location for all tubes under the compressor. On top of that, we need to but a new smaller diameter hose (much more flexible) to work with the smaller than expect inter-cooler coupling, and we also have to machine 4 hose couplings reducer to work with the new hoses. Overall, installation was easy. Car fire up nicely and not problem spotted for the 15 minutes of idle and 5 minutes of driving in the parking lot. I will do some data logging tomorrow for further diagnostic.

Once again, thanks for all your input..
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Congrats on the install. Very satisfying when it is all in the car starts!
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Nuvolari

Post by Nuvolari »

Today I removed A/C system to save some weight but all system (A/C compressor, condenser, pipes) is only 15 lbs :oops:
I hoped to save more than 30 lbs with a/c delete and now I'm very disappointed.
So I've got one question. What about removing under dash a/c components. Is it possible to save heater that way?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I am still tempted to pull the A/C on my street car because I want to mount a Rotrex where the A/C compressor is located. :)

Bits in the dash not much weight, I recall that I did weigh them after removal and was surprised how light those bits are, but can't now recall exactly how light.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com