Aluminum Valve Stem Installation Instructions?

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
Oldmac

Aluminum Valve Stem Installation Instructions?

Post by Oldmac »

Are there any installation instructions for the 949 Racing aluminum valves stems I just purchased with my Avanti Storm wheels? :?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Aluminum Valve Stem Installation Instructions?

Post by Brian »

They don't have instructions but any tire shop can do it with their eyes closed. The key is to NOT overtighten.

Once cap off you only have three parts, insert from inside of wheel so rubber gasket seals against wheel, add washer to the outside and screw down the bolt over that until snug (if it leaks over time you can always add a quick bit of additional turns later but better to start with less torque rather than destroy that rubber bit).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Oldmac

Post by Oldmac »

Brian wrote:They don't have instructions but any tire shop can do it with theirs closed. The key is to NOT overtighten.

Once cap off you only have three parts, insert from inside of wheel so rubber gasket seals against wheel, add washer to the outside and screw down the bolt over that until snug (if it leaks over time you can always add a quick bit of additional turns later but better to start with less torque rather than destroy that rubber bit).

I understand the basic install. My concern is the gradual loosening during heat up and cool down cycles during autocrossing. I was wondering if using Blue Locktite was recommended when installing?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Never had a report of issue like that, so I think you may be over thinking it.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DavidP020

Post by DavidP020 »

Is there any performance advantage to use aluminium valve stem?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That's a great question but the answer is both YES...and NO.

The better aluminum stems have higher quality high temp cores (includes all we carry here), that handle heat and stress MUCH better than the cheapo rubber stems that every tire shop buys for 10 cents each. On the other hand, there is some risk in the regular world with with aluminum stems that you don't get with the rubber stems...which is curb contact or item sticking out from curb breaking off the aluminum stem (and in the same situation perhaps the rubber stem just flexes enough to snap back without damage). On balance, the racers want the aluminum stems with the quality high temp cores to prevent the risk of high speed loss of pressure that can happen while on track with the cheapo rubber stems.....but it's a closer call for street customers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DavidP020

Post by DavidP020 »

Thanks for you answer Brian. :D

Well, I do track days 5 times a year, I'm not sure which solution should I choose. I have a set a wheels for tracks, so maybe should I use aluminium stems...
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I suggest the better aluminum stems for any customers doing track days.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com