NC Rollbar Installation

Installations instructions for MonsterFlow intakes, Big Brake Kits, shocks and more.
tomkk

Post by tomkk »

I'd take more pictures but they wouldn't show anything more than the one there without taking off the whole rear panel. You're right, though, cutting the cubbies around the bars was a real PITA. I had the back panel in and out quite a number of times before I got it right, trimming a bit every time.

The way I approached it was to just slice off the inner wall of each cubbie, that is, the right wall of the passenger cubbie and the left wall of the driver cubbie (save the walls for later). That did a couple of things: it meant I only had to trim a semicircle at the right spot in the edge of the "floor" and "ceiling" of each cubbie and it made the whole assembly more flexible so I could get it around the bars as I was trimming. I trimmed the semicircles until they fit around the bars. I didn't do that great a job of getting the fit right but I used some of the scrap material to make a small patch that fit the bar better and glued that to the floor of the cubbie.

After I got the fit right around the bars I made a simple cut in the walls to fit the angle of the bars and glued them back onto the cubbie edges. I had a bit of trouble gluing - I thought the material was ABS and I thought acetone worked to soften ABS to "weld" the pieces back together. One of those two was wrong - acetone didn't touch it. I ended up using a combination of contact cement and Goop. Seems to be holding well. I used carpet tape to stick felt on the floor of the cubbies so things wouldn't rattle.

Lastly, the mounting holes for the rear speakers were easy to make. I drilled and tapped mine, self tapping screws would also work. My problem was that I couldn't figure out any way to get the rear panel back in the car with the speakers installed. Once the cubbies were cut to fit the bars there just isn't any room to maneuver the panel so the bottom fits the rear of the center console, the cubbies fit around the bars and the speakers fit in their place. I scratched my head a lot over that one and ended up just leaving them out. I'm not an audiophile, though, and don't miss the speakers even slightly.
Tom
2008 Red GT soft top
Greg Tilkens

Post by Greg Tilkens »

Thanks Tom - very helpful to hear your approach. I will probably do similar since those storage spaces are so valuable.

BTW - I have found that 2-part epoxy specifically for plastic (LocTite product?) is very effective at welding the interior plastic parts together
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Another good set of instructions for a customer:

http://safegabe.com/2010/03/11/good-win ... r-install/
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NicholasJay

Post by NicholasJay »

Brian wrote:Here is a shot. We just use a razor blade to slice the carpet in an H pattern so that the petty bar can be inserted and when removed the carpet folds back down neatly.

For install, you line it up with plate on the petty bar so you can accurately mark on the rocker where it needs to be. Then drill into the rocker with a unibit so the nuts sit down into the rocker...and that leaves facing up a nice smooth plate. And if you slice the carpet neatly then you can fold it back over the plate when the petty bar is not in place.
Brian, I don't quite understand how the petty bar attaches to the floor. Two hole are drilled into the rocker, but on which side of the rocker do the nuts go? By your post, it seems as if everything can be done without getting under the car. Is that correct? If the head of the bolt is showing in the passenger compartment, wouldn't the nut have to be underneath the car? Is there a reinforcement plate that needs to be welded in?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Yes, the petty includes a threaded plate that you need to weld on under the carpet.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NicholasJay

Post by NicholasJay »

Brian wrote:Yes, the petty includes a threaded plate that you need to weld on under the carpet.
Thanks :D I understand now. The holes are drilled so that the nuts (which are already welded to the plate) fit down in the holes. That way the plate sits flush when it is welded in. And because of that, the petty bar will sit flush.

Thanks again!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

NicholasJay wrote:
Brian wrote:Yes, the petty includes a threaded plate that you need to weld on under the carpet.
Thanks :D I understand now. The holes are drilled so that the nuts (which are already welded to the plate) fit down in the holes. That way the plate sits flush when it is welded in. And because of that, the petty bar will sit flush.

Thanks again!
BINGO.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Timothy5509

Re: NC Rollbar Installation

Post by Timothy5509 »

Great install instructions, didn't even take me and a friend 2 hours (all interior trim out and back in). Should of used more tape, but it still looks great and now my car can make the next SCCA pdx event. The bar I bought is the upgrade with single diagonal bar, and it does have the bolts for the bose speaker option. Thanks for the great quality bar and continued listening to your customers to make a better product.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Pictures of optional trunk bracing, recommended for any Quick Change install with rear braces to best support loads through the rear braces.
Attachments
trunkbraceB.jpg
trunkbraceB.jpg (106.39 KiB) Viewed 18118 times
trunkbraceA.jpg
trunkbraceA.jpg (85.39 KiB) Viewed 18118 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
pdxa4

Post by pdxa4 »

Brian, just wanted to get your opinion on what roll bar to select...
I'm considering the Upgraded bar Version 2! :: 06-12 NASA 1.75 Version

I'm looking for added safety when on the street, but also to have good protection when on the track. I'd like perfect fit with no modification needed. I typically run my removable hardtop most of the time.

My 06 NC.

Thanks
06 Sunlight Silver NC, Sport LSD.
H&R coilovers, Goodwin RACE exhaust, several other mods.(Sold)
19 Artic White ND2, Club with Brembo, BBS and Recaro
Goodwin Race exhaust, RoadsterSport suspension package
99 NB 10th Anniversary