MZR Option

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
skeeler

Re: MZR Option

Post by skeeler »

grippy,

Very interesting. I might be interested in doing this to my car, once I get tried of running in STR. Do you have any photos of the build process or the finished product? What intake manifold do you plan to use?

Thanks.
2009, STR & DD. 1995, HPDE. 2004 MSM, sold. 2010 Mazda3, hers.
grippy

Post by grippy »

Sorry but i didn't take any pics along the way. I was waiting to post until I had the tune finalized and had final numbers from the dyno. The added torque really transforms the car.

I am looking for an intake manifold, maybe the Jenvey if Brian gets around to test fitting it, or sends it to me.
I contacted Weapon-R who makes a manifold for the Focus from sheet aluminum, they said they have had no demand for our fitment. It seems that would be easy for them to swap ends on the plenum. Cosworth also has nothing for RWD setup, and is not interested in making one. Hopefully i won't have to make my own.
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

grippy,

Thanks for your reply.

I know the 3's engine has a lower redline than the NC. Are you worried about over-stressing the rods and crankshaft at high RPMs? Do you plan to swap those parts out?

Thanks again.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I have stock 2.5 crank in NCLIGHT and I have been running it 7800 RPMS for entire weekends of full throttle 300hp track work with no issues.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
skeeler

Post by skeeler »

Brian wrote:I have stock 2.5 crank in NCLIGHT and I have been running it 7800 RPMS for entire weekends of full throttle 300hp track work with no issues.
Brian, that's certainly good news.

In your opinion, if I were eventually planning to run your supercharger kit, would the 2.5 block be a beneficial mod?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

skeeler wrote:
Brian wrote:I have stock 2.5 crank in NCLIGHT and I have been running it 7800 RPMS for entire weekends of full throttle 300hp track work with no issues.
Brian, that's certainly good news.

In your opinion, if I were eventually planning to run your supercharger kit, would the 2.5 block be a beneficial mod?
Nope, spinning that blower fast already to fill the 2.0. If I was to going to use a 2.5 for a supercharged NC it would need a bigger blower.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
methos

Post by methos »

Thanks for your description of the project grippy, helps to formulate my plan.
grippy

Post by grippy »

Glad to help.
Have you looked on car-part.com for a replacement 2.0?
You can also buy a crate motor or shortblock directly from MazdaMotorsports at a discount. IIRC it was $1800 for a shortblock and 3K for a longblock.

Good luck getting back up and running.
Gordon Andrade
06 Miata
COMSCC #10 SC
methos

Post by methos »

Lets say I go with the following:
• 2010 2.5L bottom end.
• Stock Exhaust for now (but will upgrade in near future) Looking at Good-Win exhausts.
• Light Flywheel
• CAI
• Dynotronics tune

Going with the above, any idea what sort of gains I would realize with head work and cams? Are we talking less than 5hp?
methos

Post by methos »

grippy...This was not hard, but quite involved to get everything right, I had to do a lot of research and test fitting. Might a bit too much for your average shade tree mechanic. That is 167 WHP on a dynapack "heartbreaker" dyno. I am hoping for 170 once the fueling is finalized.
It looks like I'm going to try and tackle this project with either the 2.5L or the 2.3L short block with my 2.0L Heads and cams doing as much research as possible and working with a capable mechanic. Based on what I've read so far in "forums" online (ya, not really too much actual wrenching experience with these cars) the 2.3L revs. faster and it's easier to fit into the NC? The 2.5L has more torque but is a little sleepy in comparison?

So... where did your challenges lie in terms of fitting? I read the following from a thread on another forum: "Brian says alternator will not fit with the 2.5 block and hits the steering rack. I think this would be a big issue for people who want to street drive their cars and can't get by with a small race alternator."

Did you have to create or use any custom fabricated hardware? I also read that you have to create custom motor mounts?

I have the 6-spd man. in my '06. Any concerns with that?

Which header did you use? Seems the the stock one will "not" fit?

Thanks,
Methos