A bit more power

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
e4tnu

A bit more power

Post by e4tnu »

OK so i have my Goodwin 4 into 1 header , milltek exhaust and back-box, a 200 cell cat , k&n panel filter.
So my next step i thought was to get the ecu remapped in an attempt to gain a little more power so i have been waiting for the release of the Alien tech K tag Ecu device which over here was going to be able to remap most jap cars after 2009.
Except at the moment it isn't able to do any MX5's and the dozen or so companies over here that i have approached have no idea when they will be able to.
So has any one got any ideas how i can increase the power but keeping my car N/A?
CHeavin_2006

Re: A bit more power

Post by CHeavin_2006 »

johnxsi

Post by johnxsi »

For tuning MotoEast does good work (they tuned my car and I'm happy):

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... 0238a.html
'07 Stormy Blue GS, RA1's on RPF1, MS Springs & Sways, AWR Rollbar, Cosworth SC
e4tnu

Post by e4tnu »

So as far as I can gather I either have remove my ecu from my car and send it away for retuning across the other side of the world or buy a piggy back system which would have to be re tuned to run on our 95ron or 97ron fuel which we have over here (if that is possible over here that is) also I have read that the ecu can basically undo any changes after a certain amount of miles does anyone know if this is true?
Reading on various forums mainly ones in the states you seem to have the tuning of the mx5 pretty much sewn up where as over here I haven’t found any one who would be able to remap, there are plenty of dyno tuners but no one able to retune we just don’t seem to have the enthusiasm over here and it is such a shame.
Or am I missing something and is there a product out there that is user friendly enough for a beginner like myself to install with the aid of dyno centre which would improve my 0-60 ?
I have spent the last three years improving my MX ( i think ) only to be let down by the need for a bit more acceleration.
MX5 2009 pre-face lift model PRHT copper red
Lowered on Gaz Coilovers
Racing Beat sway bars
Goodwin 4-1 header
200 cell high flow cat
Milltek exhaust system
K&N panel filter
I&L rear shock top mount brace
Mazdaspeed front tower brace
OZ Ultraleggera 17x8 in gold
Toyo T1r’s 215x40x17
:( :(
jboemler

Post by jboemler »

Either of the two MX5 tuners in the states (DPTune or Moto-East) can tune a UK car just fine. With DPTune you'll have to send the ECU across the pond, and it's possible that it will take more than one iteration. The Moto-East method allows you to install the tune in your own garage, and revert to stock if you don't like the changes.

The Moto-East method also has the potential for you or a local tuner to adjust your car. Since you're not already a tuning expert, I'd suggest NOT fooling with it yourself -- it's a lot more complicated than a lean-rich "knob" to be turned. And I'd only take it to a local shop that had experience with MX-5 tuning.

There are several folks in the UK who have done this reflashing, which is needed for supercharging. You might ask around at miata.net or mx-5.com for their experiences.
e4tnu

Post by e4tnu »

Thanks for that i'll have to see if anyone over here has had any joy with the Moto-East system.
:D
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We have one of the few MX5 in the country that has run on BOTH the DPTUNE and MOTO-EAST calibrations.

We even bought multiple ECUs so we could swap between the two calibrations in just minutes. After months of playing with both which calibration did we keep on our MX5? Drum roll please..........WINNER: MOTO-EAST. The MOTO-EAST was the winner for us because it proved the most stable and dependable.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Some of our customers have had similar experiences, finding MOTOEAST to be the best. HERE is a link to a thread at Miata.net today.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
e4tnu

Post by e4tnu »

Yes I read that all sounds very promising, I will be sending moto-east an email soon to see if they can assist me in what I am trying to achieve then hopefully source a decent tuner over here that I can work with.
Also Brian on the subject of ECU’s and having one as a spare, does it have to be the same as I have or can a 1.8 - 5 speed be reprogrammed to a 2.0 ?
:roll:
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We don't have 1.8 NC in this country so I don't know if it uses the same ECU as 2.0 NC....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com