NC autocross setup/rules

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
elloco54

NC autocross setup/rules

Post by elloco54 »

I have an 06 mx5 which I will run in either CS or STR. In reading the SCCA rules I get the impression the car can be brought to MSR specs and I would appreciate any input from anyone who knows the facts. I have raced for over 30 years in autocross,spec miata,gt3,gt5,bracket racing and TAG karts and I know how vague the rules can be sometimes. Now my other question would be if the car cannot be brought to MSR specs would the car be competitive in STR with the koni/progress setup plus all the other allowed STR mods. I want the car to remain streetable and due to my job I won't be able to race every weekend,so I really don't want to spend 2k plus for a coilover setup if I don't need to
Brian
Site Admin

Re: NC autocross setup/rules

Post by Brian »

Only a 2007 can be brought up to MSR spec.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
mitchman

Post by mitchman »

For road racing SSB, you can convert any year to an MSR, but for SCCA Solo (autocross) it has to be a 2007 base model like Brian says.
'06 MX-5 (STR)
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

OK so CS is out what about STr with the koni/progress spring setup plus sway bars full exhaust/intake and of course the 17x9 wheel and tire package. Can that shock/spring package compete or do I have to go the full monte with coilovers
mitchman

Post by mitchman »

"Compete" at what level? It all depends on your competition. Maybe locally there won't be that many fully prepped cars in STR so you'll be fine. Maybe even regionally (National Tours/ProSolos) you could do okay. Nationally, I doubt you could get by with that shock/spring combo, but it's worth a try. :)
'06 MX-5 (STR)
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It really all depends on what region you are in. Some of the fastest STR guys in the country are 'local' here in San Diego....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

No national stuff just local and this is just to feed the racing bug. I did the scca and nhra national stuff for years and while fun it started to become more of a job than a hobby. I'm starting to think I may enjoy doing track days more,that way I can do whatever to the car without having to focus on a certain class. I would really like to go the super charger route and hunt down unsuspecting porches.
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

quick question will 245/40-17 tire on 17x9 with 48mm offset fit without fender roll and that would be with koni shocks & racing beat springs
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Almost.....

A 235/40-17 tire on 17x9 with 48mm clears stock fenders.....but the 245 will usually need a little fender roll.

Variables include tire brand variances and camber .....with enough camber you might get 245mm on there without need for fender roll with 48mm offset wheel choice but you might also suffer uneven wear depending on amount of freeway driving, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

I think the 235/40 should be plenty on a 2400 lb car, if I was looking for the last 10th I would just get a set of hoosiers instead of dunlops. I'll have to dig out my alignment tools and adjust the camber when I go to the track. Thanks for your input