Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
eluviis

Re: Our New 2012 PRHT SS Project....

Post by eluviis »

Minor insulation?
My car: The 1995 RallyWays Miata
v67gsr

Post by v67gsr »

Those are the two panels we, the North American model don't have. Even Mazda North America cannot buy them. ASAIK they are Japan and Europe specific parts. Some lucky individual in North America have them cove with the car.

I have made my own version of the one on the left. I also have the opportunely to buy the one on the right for cheap. Didn't buy it because of overheating concern (on track).
Reitrof

Post by Reitrof »

Umm where do they go? Not sure what their purpose is?
2008 PRHT Touring True Red, MazdaSpeed body kit
RSII, RX8 Sways, KW V3 Coilovers
Kenwood DNX7100, Nautilis Horn
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

Reitrof wrote:Umm where do they go? Not sure what their purpose is?
Same here. Still waiting for the new springs!

AZ
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

As correctly pointed out above, these are indeed offered in Europe and not in the USA. By further sealing up the bottom the path of air under the car is smoother and quieter (and the bit of insulation on these panels also helps cut road noise). We noted at the start of this 2012 project that road noise at freeway speeds was something we wanted to work on and we figured we would start with the factory's own bolt on panels and see if we could actually measure a difference on the same stretch of road with our DB meter. Brought a few of these at ridiculous costs from Europe to give them a try and then we will likely go from there (we might make our own versions if we can find solid gains....but won't be doing our full flat bottom setup like we use on our race cars, just curious for now as to what differences we can measure...if any).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

Interesting!

I'll will post this on my recent thread, but I'll make mention of it here because it's relevant to the noise thing...

I'm suspecting the rattle I've been hearing in my car might have something to do with panels, heat shields or something like that. Or in fact, the drivetrain, but being amplified by rattly underside panels. I've been poking around, adding temporary insulation to see if I can identify the problem. Unfortunately, I'm starting to think it might be the sum of all these things. I'll report back later in my thread.

Panels like the ones you picture above might be a great thing to add later on - once I get the rattle out and make the more pleasant, this could further improve it.
NobleK

Post by NobleK »

Hi

I am new owner (2 1/2 weeks) of a 2012 SE but already have 2400 miles. I've been trying the back roads of So Cal to learn my new vehicle. The most fun I've had on 4 wheels. I very much appreciate this thread as it captures pretty much where I want to go. This is my DD which means 80 miles a day 5 days a week. So "no compromise" is important for me. Equally important is the improvements planned by Brian. I had the fortune to call Good WIn Racing today and spoke with Brian directly. Good news bad news. But very straight forward and honest, which was very much appreciated. I am hopeful that by comparing my priority list here with Brian I will be be able to slowly get to my goals. My priority list is as follows:

Power/HP
I also want a little power boost. Because I am in California I am reluctant to invest $1300 in the full streeter, mid pipe and muffler and not be street legal. However, Brian reminded me that just the muffler added a percentage of hp. More importantly Brian reminded me that the torque was just as important to the feeling of power. Per Brian the muffler really helps with the torque. Considering I am a Sunday twisty rider that might just be sufficient. I am using the Motorcycle websites to find good roads. I've already done SR 74, SR 39 to Crystal Lake, San Gabriel Road and SR 2. More planned for each weekend. Brian did mention intake boosts and I will be waiting for his guidance in that regard.

Handling
I've got the 2012 SE with a Suspension Package, which "features a sport-tuned suspension system bolstered by Bilstein shock absorbers, a larger rear stabilizer bar and a limited-slip rear differential." Will I appreciate the Progressive sways that are installed on Brian's/Andi's dd? How about the new shocks that Brian is working on? Wheels/Tires - I feel good with what the SE came with but this is something that I am going to watch closely to those who have run a lot of different tires. Advice appreciated.

Sound deadening.
So far I am pretty comfortable with PRHT noise at freeway speeds. At least the bluebooth works well. However, again that I will be following the thread to see how much progress is made.

Wheels/Tires
I feel good with what the SE comes with but this something that I am going to watch closely to those who have run a lot of different tires. Reduced "sprung weight" referenced by Brian is a very good starting point for consideration.

Horn
This may strike some as strange, but, I've been pinched twice already by large semi trucks. I work in an industrial area and I feel like the Miata is almost as invisible as a motorcycle. I am thinking maybe a louder horn will help. Thoughts?

I feel the best way for me sort through all of the options is to build a backlog of miles. Any advice as to what I should look forward as I do these trips would be helpful. Lastly a thank you for Brian for doing this kind of vehicle build. I also appreciate his business creed of not sending anything out until they have tested it.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Welcome!

I put a bigger set of horns in my first Miata years ago so that is no surprise.

Given what you have outlined I would keep it simple: start with the Q muffler and our Racing Beat sways. The Q will give you just a little more grunt and the upgrade in sways will go a long way to helping keep the tire contact patches more flat on the ground in the turns. Perhaps later add our AEM intake.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

NobleK,
My only two cents is if you buy ANYTHING that Racing Beat makes make sure you buy thru Good-Win-Racing! I found out the hard way RB has some issues with their customer service. i.e. warranty
Brain will stand behind stuff he sales, RB has issues here. I'm truly sorry Brian! Just stating the facts.

Hopefully Brian & Progress can get the Progress springs at the right ride height for an PRHT NC2, then add Koni's and you should be very happy. I still waiting to try a set on an 08 GT (NC1) soft-top. NC1's are Miata's made from 2006 to 2008, NC2's are Miata's made after 2009.

Best of luck!
AZ
eluviis

Post by eluviis »

@NobleK - Are you in the LA area? Just wondering, cause I'm in Northern San Diego. Always good to meet up with other MX5 owners.

You mention you have an SE - So I can recommend the smart top mod. I was very skeptical about it too, because I thought (and still think) it's too pricey. However, I stopped by Brian's, met his brother there, and he sold me the module. After the initial sting of the purchase wears off, the rest is enjoyment. It really makes a big difference.

You said you wanted mods without compromise... That's a good one. It adds quite a bit of comfort.