AEM Cold Air Intake On A 2011 MX-5 (Eng. code issues)

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
afilo

AEM Cold Air Intake On A 2011 MX-5 (Eng. code issues)

Post by afilo »

I recently heard from a fairly knowledgable individual (Mazda Miata's) that installing a cold air intake on the Miata could cause problems and potentially throw some engine code warnings just from the engine taking in moist cool air. That doesn't sound logical to me, I live in Arizona (Phoenix area), so cool moist air never seems to be a problem, and it would appear to me that unless you are actually drawing water into the intake (driving through puddles or standing water, that this should not be a problem. Any information either agreeing or disagreeing with my assessment would be greatly appreciated. Application - 2011 MX-5, 6 speed manual, PRHT.
AZ Sun Lover

Re: AEM Cold Air Intake On A 2011 MX-5 (Eng. code issues)

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

afilo wrote:I recently heard from a fairly knowledgable individual (Mazda Miata's) that installing a cold air intake on the Miata could cause problems and potentially throw some engine code warnings just from the engine taking in moist cool air. That doesn't sound logical to me, I live in Arizona (Phoenix area), so cool moist air never seems to be a problem, and it would appear to me that unless you are actually drawing water into the intake (driving through puddles or standing water, that this should not be a problem. Any information either agreeing or disagreeing with my assessment would be greatly appreciated. Application - 2011 MX-5, 6 speed manual, PRHT.
We have gotten one from condensation that forms on the alloy tubing after a cold winter night. As you know we get a few cold nights a year here in the valley of the sun (Mesa). The condensation (water drop) is pulled thru air mass sensor at WOT. Trust me the CEL will disappear after a few run cycles. I also recommend getting a Scan Gauge as they are out of Mesa AZ also & worth every penny.

AZ