Has anyone mounted the street header to an automatic yet?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone mounted the street header to an automatic yet

Post by Brian »

If we are talking about the same bracket on the trans, it can be unbolted. Some have chosen to grind it, we just remove it.

The RoadsterSport Max Power header installs on the Automatic usually with no issues other than doing something with that bracket as mentioned above.... but sorry to say the RoadsterSport Street Header is a real close call with both the bell housing on the automatic and the cooling lines. I will post some pics from a customer who had the Street Header professionally installed and the installer made his own cooling lines to relocate them.
Attachments
SH2.jpg
SH2.jpg (272.48 KiB) Viewed 11594 times
SH1.JPG
SH1.JPG (201.02 KiB) Viewed 11597 times
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JT12

Post by JT12 »

Thanks for the pictures Brian. That really helps make all the explanations more clear without pulling things off the car. Since we don't have emissions tests in Minnesota I'll be going with the Max Power header / Mid / Q package then for a late Christmas present. Street header sounded good in case we ever move, but a better fit and a little more hp and torque while I'm at it sounds best. Then all I'll need is spring! Happy Holidays.
JT12

Post by JT12 »

Just installed the silver ceramic coated RS Max Power header, mid-pipe, and Q on our 2012 automatic. The one issue is the small spot on the transmission cooling lines where, after torquing down the header bolts, one of the tubes touched the factory heat shield around the transmission cooling line. So what I did was to wrap that short space of the cooling lines in one additional layer of heat tape on top of the factory heat shielding (like I used on the rest of the uninsulated portion of the lines ahead of that).

Of course the downside of that is that it adds a little more thickness so the header tube how meets it with that much more contact. What I'm afraid of is that I may have inadvertently created a fire hazard. But I don't know how hot the bottom of the ceramic coated header gets. I just know its cooler than stainless. Would the ceramic version get hot enough there to ignite the heat tape?

Does anyone know if the lines can be moved in just a little by removing the frame bracked just ahead where they go into the transmission, and then just slightly loosening the connections into the transmission, and not loose (much) fluid?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The thermal tapes can be right in contact with even the uncoated version of the header and they won't ignite, the stainless does a fair bit better job of keeping the heat inside than traditional mild steel headers and with the ceramic the result is even better.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JT12

Post by JT12 »

Thanks for the quick response Brian! That's a relief. Think I'll spend some time with it as is then and see how well things weather. I absolutely love the result that I ended up with here. Ceramic silver is beautiful and it all sounds great in the garage. Soon as the (expletive deleted) snow melts looking forward to road time. On to the suspension in the mean time...