Check my exhaust upgrade order please

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Curves

Check my exhaust upgrade order please

Post by Curves »

Life is too short. I have decided on MAX performance for my 2012 PRHT. I have 5 smog free years to enjoy by which time I will probably have another car or just convert this to a dedicated AX/Track car.

Are these the correct items?
Rocky will be doing the install then I will get it tuned.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1078.html
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... 078-B.html
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... 098RD.html
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1337.html

Can a tune bypass the need for any of the O2 Sensors?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Check my exhaust upgrade order please

Post by Brian »

Yes, list looks complete.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

You forgot the baffles, Robert! You WILL want them. It grates on my nerves just driving from my house to Qualcomm without them.

You have to ask Mike at Moto-East about deleting an 02 sensor. I don't know what advantage there would be but let us know what Mike has to say about that.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The actual numbers on customers with full headers from us even buying the packed baffles is only 17%. And plenty of those buyers get them up front and later tell me they have never felt the need to use them and they are just sitting on a shelf in their garage gathering dust. I recently drove our 2006 Project car with full RoadsterSport Max Power Header, RoadsterSport Midpipe, and RoadsterSport Q exhaust all the way to Laguna Seca (437 miles each way), and several hundred miles on the track, and the thought of wanting the packed baffles never even occurred to me over that several days. I am happy we have the option because there are certainly a minority of users like Chris who really appreciate and use the optional packed baffles on a regular basis, but I usually suggest to most folks they start without the optional packed baffles because the numbers suggest that most never feel the need for them.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Brian wrote:I am happy we have the option because there are certainly a minority of users like Chris who really appreciate and use the optional packed baffles on a regular basis,....
I certainly do appreciate them! Easy to install and remove in about 2 minutes including the walk to and from my toolbox. Perhaps I'm just getting old and like my daily driver quiet and I'm certainly... uh...different than most people :mrgreen:

I get complements on how nice the car sounds at autocrosses with the baffles out too.
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
roadster_nh

Post by roadster_nh »

Brian wrote:The actual numbers on customers with full headers from us even buying the packed baffles is only 17%. And plenty of those buyers get them up front and later tell me they have never felt the need to use them and they are just sitting on a shelf in their garage gathering dust.
I'm one of the 17% whose baffles are gathing dust. It's a great option and I can see how some people would really like or need them. I bought mine soon after the install when the system hadn't settled in with carbon buildup... however it didn't take long for the sound to mellow and smooth out to a point where I don't even think about installing the baffles (or maybe it has nothing to do with carbon and my ears just got used to it).
2003 LS FFS
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Perhaps the RoadsterSport mid-pipe is actually quieter than the PPE LTH mid-pipe? They are not the same cat and resonator, Brian? Maybe that's something that would make my power hardtop car a bit louder inside the cabin at certain frequencies?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I have not had opportunity myself to compare the sound of PPE and Roadstersport complete systems on same day with same muffler, same humidity, etc. But certainly I have experienced that the tin top is an echo chamber for exhausts in comparison to the soft top, or at least that the insulation in the PRHT seems to effectively cut the wind noise ...and thereby makes the exhaust sound coming from below more dominant and obvious.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Va MX5

Post by Va MX5 »

Folks,

I have the same header and exhaust setup ( without the optional baffles ) on my 2012 PRHT, as Brian has on his 2006 project car. Chris always has something positive and / or informative in his posts, so I respect his opinion. Sound is very subjective to each individual and the stock exhaust note is very pleasant for just cruising. I like to track my car in HPDE events often, with my current exhaust setup I can hear the car at speed when surrounded by fully race prepped track cars ( before I couldn't ). Off the track, it is a good compromise for me, even with the top up, so I am happy. Also, I will tell you fitment was great and I have never experienced any OBD trouble codes to date, good product. I have no experience with the PPE header or mid-pipe, but if you have concerns about loudness / sound, don't rush the purchase, find someone at one of the track events ( even if you don't track your car, they are fun to watch ), whose car is equipped similar to what you are thinking of, to see if you like the package , including the sound. Then make up your own mind of what will work for you.

Regards to all.
Pat- Va MX5
2012 MX5 PRHT GT
Curves

Post by Curves »

I ended up buying both extension cables after emailing Mike. Here was is response:

"You do need the cables and the sensors. The front one is required for the ECU to fuel, the rear one is for emissions. While we can disable some ECU codes, it is better to have the sensor in there and in the circuit. Otherwise you get a slew of codes and not just one inefficiency code, and there it becomes a bit more complicated. Otherwise we’ve done many of these, and like even a stock car, they pickup HP and perform better when tuned."

Brian and Rocky are next door to each other. It sure is nice to have a one stop shop for advice, parts and installation.

Rocky is installing on Wednesday!