Check my exhaust upgrade order please

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
JT12

Re: Check my exhaust upgrade order please

Post by JT12 »

I'm part of the 17% with the packed baffles and am glad I have them, but I would say they should be a wait and see item. The good thing is that Brian's shipping is so prompt that you don't have to try to guess what your experience will be way ahead of time. Before installing my header/mid/Q it was valuable to me just to be able to tell my wife that a way to adjust the sound existed. The sound isn't bad without them but sometimes talking in the car took a little more effort. The packed baffles cut it back just enough to make that easier for trips and still preserved the great character of the exhaust sound. Perfect -- for me. I don't have the PPE either, but test it out first. Then if needed, for not that much more $$, having options is good.
Chris Thompson

Post by Chris Thompson »

Chris Thompson wrote:Perhaps the RoadsterSport mid-pipe is actually quieter than the PPE LTH mid-pipe?
This weekend at autocross we sound tested Brian's blue car with his Max Power header and mid-pipe against my car with PPE header and mid-pipe. Same run time, same course, same Q mufflers. No real difference in decibel levels. Both cars blew average of 82db according to the SCCA sound person.

As an added bonus Andi (Brian's lovely wife) suggested I try barbecuing my avocados and peaches. For some reason I had never thought of that. Can't wait to try it with a tri-tip this week :)
'99 Base Sport with bolt-on hardtop and '08 PRHT GT. I love them both. SCCA, PCA, BMW San Diego region #105
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

That was a fun day Saturday, I was really surprised that both cars blew the same numbers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Vinzz

Post by Vinzz »

This is an interesting post.

So if I understand correctly, a complete RoadsterSport exhaust line is similar to a complete MaxPower exhaust line, both in tems of performance and sound level ?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

It was a comparison of sound level between PPE Long Tube header (with the midpipe that is included in that system), and RoadsterSport Max Power header and RoadsterSport Midpipe. Both systems finished with RoadsterSport Q muffler, and amazingly there was no difference in sound level.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Vinzz

Post by Vinzz »

OK, so they are both un-catted ?
And the comparaison was only about sond level, not performance ?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Both systems have a single cat in the midpipe, none in the header. This was an autocross event, which includes sound metering under conditions controlled enough to draw the conclusion that sound levels are the same. That's all, not a dyno day.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com