Alignment Numbers After Progress/Koni

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
tmac

Alignment Numbers After Progress/Koni

Post by tmac »

I have an 06 with stock sport suspension. I had a precision alignment done and am very happy with the results; settings are, slight toe-in front and back, -1.2 camber all the way around, and 5 plus on caster. I plan to install Progress springs and Koni adjustable shocks and am curious what the camber numbers should be on the new setup, i.e. what would be the equivalent camber on the new, slightly lowered suspension? In other words, if I like -1.2 on the stock setup, should I run -1.2 on the slightly lowered suspension or something else?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Alignment Numbers After Progress/Koni

Post by Brian »

It all depends on the mix of driving you do. Lowering the car more gives you access to more negative camber if you want it. But if most of your driving is freeway work then you may want to dial back to something near the settings you had before. On the other hand, if you do a lot of canyon or country road driving or autocross or track then you will appreciate more camber, try something at least -1.5 all around. Our autocross customers who do even more, -1.8 or -2.0 range, etc
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tmac

Post by tmac »

Perfect, thanks Brian.

I'll keep an eye on tire wear with the settings I have and adjust when I finally do the springs and shocks. If tire wear is even I may bump up to -1.5.

BTW, do you prefer equal camber on all four or something different front to back? So far I like equal all around but I haven't experimented with different settings.
tmac

Post by tmac »

Something else I am curious about. How does suspension travel (static height to the bump stops) compare between stock and progress with Konis? The car is lowered a bit with progress springs and Konis, is there also a decrease in suspension travel?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Anytime we lower the car but keep a full length shock.....there will be less travel.

The only way to keep travel as we lower is to use shorter shock body....like our TEIN and OHLINS full coilovers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
tmac

Post by tmac »

Okay, so whatever the drop, that is how much you loose. Any idea how much travel is left with Progress/Koni? I assume the lose doesn't cause problems, i.e. you don't find yourself running on the bump stops a lot? I suppose you can make up some of that by trimming bump stops or going with FCM?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Indeed we trim front stops to 36mm so we have some free spring play before getting into the stops....or you can use the FCM 'lowered' set we offer.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com