2011 6 speed mx5 prht gt wheels and tires

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
StephenW571

2011 6 speed mx5 prht gt wheels and tires

Post by StephenW571 »

Hi Brian
I am a new member with a 6 speed 2011 version of your 2012 prht gt
Just put on your roadstersport q muffler and am very please with it and now got the bug for more upgrades.
I think I will closely follow all your upgrades on yr prht ss project except for wheels.
In this regard I would prefer a little more aggressive stance/wider tire
I like the rfp1 style and in 17 x 8 but this comes with 45mm offset.
What are my tire size options on this wheel without fender mods and aggressive camber change?
Help, I,m going crazy trying to figure it out
Many thanks. Great site
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 2011 6 speed mx5 prht gt wheels and tires

Post by Brian »

You can use that 17x8 RPF1 with 225/45/17 or less tire and it will clear factory fenders with that 45mm offset.

The next size up is 235/40/17 and it needs a little fender roll with that offset.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

is 235 the correct fitment?

Would 225 be a stretch?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I prefer the diameter of the 235/40/17 (perfect match for stock diameter), but the slightly tall 225/45/17 works fine for many customers.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Va MX5

Post by Va MX5 »

Hi Stephen,

I have the same car, but a 2012 model. Brian set me up with 235/40/17's on 48mm offset rims earlier this year and I could not be happier with the choice. There are Progress sways & springs on the car also, fender clearance is perfect and NO roll was required. My alignment specs are in the SS thread, tire wear is a non issue even after 20+ track day events since the install and 10,000+ road miles. For next season, the only changes will be a fully adjustable coilover set, bump the rear out to -1.7 and R888's for rubber. Great little car and it looks pretty good too!

Regards, Pat
Last edited by Va MX5 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat- Va MX5
2012 MX5 PRHT GT
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Hi to Brian and all that responded to my virgin post.
Thanks everyone This a great help.
My future upgrade plan is as follows,
Next the street header, then progress sways and coil springs
By that time my tires will need renewing so then the wheels
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Hi Pat
Thks yr input
What wheels did you use with 48mm offset?
I like the idea of the 235/40/17's the best but these need to be on an 8" wide or wider wheel I think
Another question. When changing to the progress sways did you also have to change the end links?
Happy thanksgiving
Steve
Va MX5

Post by Va MX5 »

Hi Steve,

The wheels I am running are PF01 @ 17 X 9, per Brian's recommendation. The tire & wheel combination provides excellent feedback to the driver and offers a lot of options for choosing R compound setups if you like.

As for the End links, there are many quality choices available including the RB units, but I strongly recomend you purchase units that are adjustable on the vehicle, this is the right way to do it, especially since the sways are adjustable. The RD end links are not, so I would spend the extra money to do it right with something else. My plan is to upgrade to fully adjustable coil-overs in the near future, and at that time new end links will be added that can be adjusted while on the car, to replace the RB units I am currently using. But I can't answer your question about the stock end links being compatible with the Progress sways, because I never tried it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards, Pat
Last edited by Va MX5 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat- Va MX5
2012 MX5 PRHT GT
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Hi Pat
Thks for yr advice it's most appreciated
I had not considered 9" wide wheels. I'm thinking this May be a bit too much tire for my intended use as I don't track
Having said that I'm leaning towards the PF01 in the 8" et50 with 235/40/17 tires.

Your advice on the end links is great. I hadn't even considered the possibility for adjustment of these on the vehicle at all. I can understand this would be a serious pain in the proverbial if many adjustments were needed. In my case though I think once I'm set that would be it. What do you think?

Perhaps if you are upgrading to coilovers I would be interested in your progress springs and RB end links.

Thks again Pat
Best rgds
Steve
Va MX5

Post by Va MX5 »

Steve,

The 9 inch rims maximize the contact patch and seem to minimize sidewall flex, but this was the result of Brian's recommendation, not any personal experience working with 8's vs. 9's. I think for a steet only application, the 8 inch rims will present a nicer / fuller looking appearance to the side wall of the tire that most folks may find more appealing. However the 8 inch set up will still provide excellent aggressive street performance.

The end links, I still would do the on-the-car adjustable units, the cost savings is not sufficient to me to warrant going with the RB units, if I was going to do this all over again. As you get more into this stuff, you may find your objectives / goals with the car change, as such you will not have to change the links to adapt. Remember every time you change something on the cars running gear, this may have an unanticipated affect on handling you may want to adjust for, why limit yourself. As I move forward with my own goals, I will let you know if these items are available.

Good luck with your future driving experiences, but be aware this stuff is addictive!

Regards, Pat
Pat- Va MX5
2012 MX5 PRHT GT