2011 6 speed mx5 prht gt wheels and tires

Show off your lightweight high-performance wheels and see here what they look like on your Mazda before you buy.
StephenW571

Re: 2011 6 speed mx5 prht gt wheels and tires

Post by StephenW571 »

Hi Pat
Good advise all round. Many thanks.
Your sure right about this stuff being addictive.
For me this all started with changing out the wimpy roadrunner horn for a two tone euro style a week after I got the car. I thought that would be it. Then I discovered Goodwin Racing and the great bunch of people posting on this site.
Thanks again
Best rgds
Steve
StephenW571

Re: 2011 6 speed mx5 prht gt upgrades to date

Post by StephenW571 »

Hi everyone,
I have just completed a bunch more upgrades last weekend, the car now has;
Roaster sport Q muffler
Roadster street bright ceramic header
Progress front and rear sways with RB end links, set on middle hole front and hole nearest end on rear
Progress springs
Smart top
IL motorsports x brace

I would like to thank all those who posted the install instructions/photos etc which helped me a great deal.
I still need to get an alignment done but will wait a couple hundred miles first.
FYI
I have a free app on my I-pad "chinometer" just to get an idea of the camber increase gained by the springs. Not accurate I know, but a reasonable indication. Increase was abt 0.7 degrees more negative. Fronts now around -1.4 and rears around -1.9. Lowered fronts to 13.5 inches and rears to 14 inches after torque setting the needed fixtures with full weight of car on the ground and after driving it around the block first as recommended.
So far I'm real pleased with the outcome.
Thanks everyone
Steve
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

Stephen, have you had the car tuned since you installed the header? If not, how does the car drive compared to the stock header? Thanks.
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Hello Ron,
I have not had the engine tuned/reflashed at all and I don't plan to.
This is purely a street machine and according to some other threads the stock ecu will learn and adjust itself to some extent.
The car drives great, no problems what-so-ever and the difference in torque can be easily felt through your seat.
The header makes a much better sound too especially when you bury your right foot in the carpet.
At steady highway speeds with the top up the exhaust noise is noticeable but not annoying in any way.

Hope this helps
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

Yes it does. Brian, would you chime in here? What exactly does the ecu "learn" in this case? Thanks.
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

First O2 sensor in the system is a wideband. Assuming it is working properly the car tunes the fuel to the setup according to the maps installed by the factory. Thus, if you install a header that would otherwise make it run a bit lean, it should re-tune to the new setup. Every NC that I have owned has quickly learned the changes of the numerous headers I have tested.

I will note that now and then we see a customer car that does not automatically learn the new setup as it should. Sometimes it is an issue with that factory O2 sensor, and sometimes I don't know the reason (which is where the tuners can really help even more).
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

Just got my new wheels fitted and aligned.
Enkei pf01 17/8 with 235/40/17 Yokohama S-Drive tires.
Based on Pat's advise and factoring in that I currently don't track, the setup specs are as follows;
Camber -1.5 degrees all around.
Caster +6.3 degrees
Front toe in 0.1 degrees
Rear tow in 0.2 degrees.
So far I'm happy with it.

:D