Progress Springs vs. Racing Beat Springs w/factory Bilstein

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
FrankieS791

Progress Springs vs. Racing Beat Springs w/factory Bilstein

Post by FrankieS791 »

Looking at changing my springs on a 2006 MX-5 with soft top. Plans on suspension are to keep my factory sport suspension Bilsteins (17K miles on them) and install new springs and sway bars. Which spring would work best on the factory shocks? Car will be used for spirited street driving and will not be used on track. Also, would you suggest Racing Beat sways or RX-8 Sways red front and yellow rear? If not these 2 sways what do you suggest. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Progress Springs vs. Racing Beat Springs w/factory Bilst

Post by Brian »

For the springs my suggestion is our Progress Springs.

As for the sways, my suggestion is do the springs and see what you think of the results. Perhaps you come back saying you want just a little more flatness in the turns, and the RX8 sways give a bit more. But perhaps you come saying you want it 50% better in the turns, then I will suggest the Racing Beat Sways. And perhaps you come back saying you want it 100% better/flatter in the turns...in which case we suggest our Progress Sways.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
ThomasM344

Post by ThomasM344 »

I can definitely endorse the progress springs and progress sways package. I had the same intentions and Brian pointed me in the right direction with both products.

If had I to do them all over I would have replaced those Bilsteins while we had it apart, it was really silly not to because now I want to upgrade those.. food for thought

On your note regarding the sways Brian, we installed ours on the softest setting front and rear, I never got around to asking what you were recommending for that.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Tune the sways to taste.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Freescopesdad

Post by Freescopesdad »

But perhaps you come saying you want it 50% better in the turns, then I will suggest the Racing Beat Sways. And perhaps you come back saying you want it 100% better/flatter in the turns...in which case we suggest our Progress Sways
I am confused :?: . You state above that the Progress sways are twice as good (better/flatter) than the RB sways. Why? Your store comments that the RB sways are your "new favorite". Both have a hollow front bar, adjustments are 3F/2R, only the OD's are different (and the price as the Progress are 20% more expensive). Curious...
Ron Petrich
http://www.sacramentoareamiata.org
2016 ND GT 6MT|ZII/NT01|Ohlins|Progress|OFT|HDDDM4
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Perhaps 'better' is too subjective.....I should have stuck with 'flatter'. The Racing Beat sways are the best seller here, and the 'best' choice for most folks seeking much more flat than stock. The Progress Sways are quite a bit more serious than the Racing Beat sways, perhaps overkill for the average customer.....but for those who want it really FLAT in the corners they really work well (we love them with the Progress springs on my wife's 2014). The comparison of the OD of the bars won't convey accurately how much more serious the Progress sways are....the MUCH more heavy duty brackets and wider bushings with the Progress sways effectively make the sways far higher rate than the Racing Beat combo.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
AZ Sun Lover

Post by AZ Sun Lover »

Hmm,
I will add my .02 cents.
I just removed Mazdaspeed PRHT springs & NC2 Bilsteins from my wife's 08 (NC1) GT, soft-top. I installed a set of NC2 front springs, Koni's w/ a set of low to mild sway-bars. I like the RX-8 red front w/ yellow rear, they just work very well for a DD & are well balanced at the limit.
I will say I was totally shocked on what just Koni's & sway-bars do for this car. It's not going to the track or autocross, it's just my wife's DD. Remember we are in our mid 50's so this is coming from someone thats over the hill. (I am not my wife. :wink: )
My word of *advice* is buy Koni shocks.

AZ
Bart

Post by Bart »

What Koni's are you referring to?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

For the NC we are all talking KONI SPORT.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
NaregM677

Post by NaregM677 »

The initial question was asked for a soft-top. Am I assuming correctly that the same information is valid for a power hard-top convertible?
2013 Miata Club "Shadowfax"
"And the road becomes my bride..."