nc sways for progress/billstein sport

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Nicolas

nc sways for progress/billstein sport

Post by Nicolas »

Hi Brian,
have not installed the shocks/springs yet. waiting for these pesky extra bushings.

I had been running my nc with rx8 sport sways front and back. These worked very nicely with the rb springs/stock shocks, flat car with instant response to steering inputs. Trade off was loss of softness/compliance on rough roads and potholes.
The behavior of the car was fine for me in terms of under/oversteer - getting plenty enough rotation (tuned with alignment and tire pressures)

From what I have gathered with reading endless threads, sway stiffness should be dependent on the rest of the suspension stiffness - the stiffer the springs/shocks, the less sway is needed.

Going from RB to progress is a wash - quasi identical rates. But I assume the billstein shocks are quite a bit stiffer than stock. Is that difference enough to rethink about the sways and maybe downsize, keeping that car fun in the corners but maybe regain a little bit of stability on potholes and rough roads ? What do you think and what are options in terms of lighter sways ?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: nc sways for progress/billstein sport

Post by Brian »

My sensitive little 120 pound wife runs her PRHT 2012 on the Progress Springs and Progress Sways and Bilsteins and finds that combo just the right compromise of sport and comfort. So, I suggest give the full setup a try and see what you think. You could indeed retreat back to stock sways if you feel the need....
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

thank you!
Do you have a guess as to where the progress sways stand in terms of stiffness relative to stock and rx8 spot (yellow dot I believe) ?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The Progress sways are quite a bit stiffer...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
JamesK383

Post by JamesK383 »

I say start with the springs.

Then if the car is still not ballenced enough or flat enough on turns as you would like then start shopping for the sway bars again.

They aren't that hard to install.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

sounds tempting. Have a hard time believing I would need more sway than I currently have but I am curious to see how the car behaves with a slightly different balance.
I'll look into it maybe next spring. going to get some miles on the current package first!