07 NC FRONT HUB REMOVAL

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
DuaneR062

07 NC FRONT HUB REMOVAL

Post by DuaneR062 »

I'm doing an RX-8 front hub upgrade on my 07 NC. The RF Hub is stubborn & won't budge. I've changed these in the past without much effort however the usual methods have failed. I don't want to remove the steering knuckle unless I have to. I'm rigging up a hammer puller to attach to the lugs next. If any one has had this issue and has a better solution it will be greatly appreciated. I am spraying PBS Blaster on both sides before & after tapping on hub to help loosen it up. Thanks for any ideas.
charlie brown

Re: 07 NC FRONT HUB REMOVAL

Post by charlie brown »

I have done this conversion and it’s hard to break the seal of the old hub due to rusting.

This is what I did to remove the hub.

Unscrew the four bolts that hold the hub to the hub carrier until the heads of the bolts are 2 - 3 mm off the carrier.
Then with a hammer tap/hit the bolt heads diagonally opposite to each other (ie 1 & 3, 2 & 4), working the two diagonals back and forth until the bolt heads are sitting down on the carrier. Then unscrew the bolts another few turns and repeat the process until the old hub breaks free.

I smeared some calliper grease around the new hub for ease of removal next time.