New Hawk HPS pads & Stoptech Rotors

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
matthew-m

New Hawk HPS pads & Stoptech Rotors

Post by matthew-m »

I finally installed the new rotors, pads and SS lines I purchased for my 2007 PRHT, and they don't feel correct. I replaced the stock rotors and pads. I also had the brake fluid flushed.

The new parts seem to require more effort on the pedal before they start to take effect, and there is a click sound/sensation when applying the brake pedal. Should I return to the installer for trouble shooting, or is there a break-in procedure?

Thanks in advance,

Matthew Metoyer
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob
jboemler

Re: New Hawk HPS pads & Stoptech Rotors

Post by jboemler »

New pads always need to be bedded-in. Did you already follow the Hawk directions? You may find that the HPS pads require slightly more effort than the stock pads, but if it's a really noticeable difference, it's much more likely to be lack of bedding. All this assumes that the bleeding was done properly, of course.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I agree with Jim, sounds like not bedded yet. Progressively harder 60-20 stops....WITHOUT ACTUALLY STOPPING, start easy and keep doing it harder and harder until you SMELL them.... and then drive around and cool them, no stopping for at least 10 minutes of cool down driving and longer is better. When you finally rest the car, do NOT use the parking brake, just part it on level ground in gear. Next day it should be good to romp.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
matthew-m

Post by matthew-m »

I found Hawk's bed in procedure and while it helped, I still think the pedal is soft. I am heading back to the shop tomorrow.

By the way, does the clutch share its fluid with the brakes?
Matthew Metoyer
2010 Grey MX-5 GT, Manual, Sport Package, Street Single w/Baffle, FCM Coilovers - "GT" setup with KBO & Ripple Reducer, 16x8 wheels, Budget Big Brakes, Goodwin Underbody Braces, Cravenspeed Shift Knob