Best wheel/tire combo for fun?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Music Lover

Best wheel/tire combo for fun?

Post by Music Lover »

Hi All!
As a newbie searched many threads and still haven't found the answer. Sorry if this subject has been discussed before.

Going to buy a NC 2.0 Sport (bilstein shocks and diff) but it's WAY to high and rolls in the bends.
So I like to get suggestions for:

A/
a wheel/tire combo that makes the car AGILE...fast steering reaction, good steering feel, easy to handle on it's limits.
To my experience heavy wheels make a car less fun and agile, less adaptable in the bends. (owning a RX-8 for 3 years 2005-2008)

NOTE - I do NOT look for max traction or max speed! I wan't to have fun in the curves, sliding is fun, controlling the car on the limits is fun. I rather sacrifice ultimate grip for a wider margin on the limit.

So I basically looking for a light wheel/tire combo. 16" likely is lighter than the stock 17"correct?
Any Mazda original 16" wheels to consider?
Can't use 15" on a NC, correct?

B/
A chassis modification matching the wheels.
Read lots of good feedback on Progress Springs and Sways, together with stock Bilsteins...
But where do I buy them, living in Europe?
Is it these? http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1232.html
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... 45NC2.html
Do they ship to EU?

Do I need anything else, such as bumpstops and shocks?

I just HATE body roll, like a planted car with good body control and fast reactions.Steering feel is very important (feeling the road in my hands) I have no issues with a bumpy ride.
Are these Progress products good for me?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Best wheel/tire combo for fun?

Post by Brian »

On the wheels and tires, every choice is a tradeoff and I like to balance the wheel/tire package with the seriousness of the suspension with an eye on the planned use of the car. Thus, on my wife's 2012 daily driver we have the Progress Springs and Sways and I find that package works very well with the 17x7.5 wheels and 215/45/17 tires we added. It has more grip than stock, but I can still slide it through the 270 degree ramps at 'reasonable' speed. This package has a very fun level of balance and stick.

Many 16 inch wheels do not clear rear links on this car.

Indeed we don't generally export to Europe.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Music Lover

Post by Music Lover »

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated!
Comparing the stock wheels/tires, is your combo lighter?
Can you recommend any light combos, both 16" and 17" that clear the rear links, it would be great!
Brian wrote: Indeed we don't generally export to Europe.
Bad news, so what Springs and Sways components do you recommend me then?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The wheel on my wife's 2012 is our SBC finish 17x7.5 Enkei RP-F1....that's half an inch wider than stock but 2 pounds less weight. However the wider tire is about 2 pounds more than stock tire, so total weight of the package is about the same as stock.

I imagine you have a number of spring choices available in Europe that include the necessary TUV approval, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com