99sport dd sugestions?

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
nova99sport

99sport dd sugestions?

Post by nova99sport »

Hey everybody this is my first time posting but I've been buying all of my parts here so far and love the setup of this site. I had a 95 and sold it then I had a 50th 84 nissan 300zx turbo but sadly it was totaled by a 70 year old woman who decided to T-bobe me so i bought my 99 Sport and I love this car even more than my 95.

I am just starting school as a mechanic so this miata is a fun car to learn on and work on in class.

Any who, I plan to keep it a nice DD with maybe 2 track weekends a year. I already have an AEM intake with the ddm works heat sheild, front stut tower brace, Koni strt with H&R springs, and your RS muffler. I'm keeping the car NA and was just looking for some tips on where to go from here, ie. headers, mid pipe, throttle body, happy meal clutch kit, sways ect. not looking to build the motor for crazy power. Oh and also would I even feel any benefit from advancing my timing or is that a miniscule thing that i wouldn't notice with an NA motor making near stock hp?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: 99sport dd sugestions?

Post by Brian »

My suggested list is sways, header and midpipe.
I would not bother on the clutch until you need a new one anyway.
Advancing timing on 99 not as easy as the 95, you really need ECU upgrade to do it right and map the results on the dyno, so perhaps skip that for now.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
nova99sport

Post by nova99sport »

Thanks for the info on the timing and flywheel/cluth upgrade. As for sway bars I keep hearing that for a dd car your best off with just doing the rb front tubular bar so the back end doesn't get so slide happy on you? Am I right with that? And my car is sitting at a perfect hight for our insanly crappy D.C/ Northern VA roads with a solid 1.5" drop front and back. So my next question would be wheel size. I really love the konig wideopens and would love to have better fitment with my wheels as it now looks like my stock wheel are hiding from the world under the fenders, especially in the rear. I was thinking the 15x8 but i do not want the wheel to poke out too far. would the 15x8 25 offset be the way to go or would this make my car look like an atv since it is not slammed?
nova99sport

Post by nova99sport »

Oh I also notice a lot of talk about getting a tune or a "reflash" after doing headers, midpipe and muffler but I can't tell if it's only on NC cars that benefit from this or need it. Would this be a good idea for after i finish my exhaust on the 99?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The reflash is indeed more for the NC crowd, so I would skip that, the car will adjust (the NC adjusts too, the reflash gets even more).

I do see that recommendation about doing the front only bar but it really depends on rest of your setup. The more we lower that 99, the more oversteer we get. So, at the heights you are at now, perhaps start with front Racing Beat bar but be prepared to add more rear bar to get the balance right if you get too much understeer. For example, if you get just a bit too much understeer you can upgrade to Sport rear 12mm bar, and if you need more then perhaps the MazdaSpeed Miata 14mm rear bar, etc.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
nova99sport

Post by nova99sport »

Hey Brian thanks for the help and quick responses. Customer for life here. I will do the front bar first and see how it goes then move to finishing out exhaust. Or maybe order a set of those konig wideopens while you have em so I don't end up waiting for you guys to get more in ha. We don't have your socal canyon roads here but the blue ridge mountains will be even more fun when I get some extra cash to finish this little DD project.