06 MX5 solo nationals STR setup

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
elloco54

Re: 06 MX5 solo nationals STR setup

Post by elloco54 »

Going to order the GWR Ohlins next week,I will start the season with the stock springs and go from there. I have been reviewing the STR rules and I believe the GWR chassis braces with the exception of the center cross brace would be legal under 14.2-G-3 . The center brace would fall under 14.2-H-5 and be a no go...open to opinions. I am looking for input on the best wet weather tire,I have a set of 17X8 wheels I can mount wets
spigot52

Post by spigot52 »

A lot people I've talked to in Vancouver us these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... Contact+DW, since the R1R's are now too low a treadwear for STR.
'07 RX8/'06 MX5
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Toyo is working on 200 treadwear version of R1R and we hope to see that before the new year.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

So here's an update of my progress so far this season. Three events three first place. Off the shelf Ohlins, Hotchkis sways with front in middle hole and rear full soft. Powerflex & Whiteline bushings (real pain getting old ones out) Tomei LSD (not noisy at all) Dunlop star specs. Ride height is 12.5 front and 13.0 rear, I have -3 deg front camber and -2.7 rear 6 deg caster with 1/16 front toe out and 0 rear. I'm thinking of trying 9k front and 6k rear spring change (to keep the same split as current setup) and maybe a little less camber. Any input is more than welcome. Oh yeah I also swapped my Q for a street single, makes more noise but it's a throaty tone not at all like the tin cans kids put on their hondas. :lol:
Curves

Post by Curves »

I have the 9/6kg and it is much better than the stock 7/4 kg on the AX course - faster and more resposnive through the transitions. Not too stiff even on our loose ashphalt at Qualcomm. On the freeway I cannot notice the difference in ride comfort. It feels the same which is a testimanet to the good valving on the Ohlins.

Here is what I ordered. Note with the rear springs I have no preload. There is 1mm of free play when you jack the car up. But it is not a problem once you lower it to the floor. If you go over a drip in the street at speed you will hear a small clang.

Front Springs
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... 90%20.html

Rear Springs
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... WIFTS.html
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -0197.html (two of these)

Ride Height I am 12.75 rear and 12.5 front. 12.75 rear is the lowest I can go (two threads left visible). RB Front Bar set to middle, Eibach Rear Bar disconnected. -3.0 front camber, 1/16 toe out, -2.5 rear camber, 1/16 toe in.

I am surprised you are not oversteering with 0.5 inch rake. You should try 0.25 or 0 rake. More grip in the rear and you can power out of corners sooner.
Curves

Post by Curves »

Those links I posted did not paste right. This thread hs the same links.

http://www.mazdatalkforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3248
elloco54

Post by elloco54 »

I had actually planned to drop the rear to 12.75 before this weekends event. The car is fairly neutral with slight oversteer at the limit but very manageable.
morrisg

Post by morrisg »

I've been away from autox for 2 years but I believe you may pick up some rear traction powering out of the corners if you reduce rear camber a bit from your present value of >2.5 degrees. We had about 2.2 degrees and found some forward bite when we took it down to around 1.5. Of course, this was on Toyo R1R in 245/40x17 two years ago. The car was still good on the first gen BFG Rival taking the win at 2013 Packwood Tour.

However, with the new BFG Rival S or Bridgestone RE71R tires, more grip is available and suspension tuning will need to be tweaked. It might be nice to start a thread here to share suspension tuning / tire pressures / etc for 2015 season.
See23

Post by See23 »

I'll bite: Here's my set up....

2006 MX5 soft top GS
Ohlin coil overs
Swift springs 9 kg front, 6 kg rear
Front camber -2.9
- Toe 1/32 out
- Caster 6
Rear Camber -2.5
- Toe 1/32 in
Racing Beat sway bar in front, stock rear
- Full stiff in front
PPE long tube header
RoadsterSport Race muffler
Moto East intake for STR
Moto East re-flash
- 7500 rpm smooth rev limit
- Auto blip/rev match down shift (not much good in autocross but fun on the back roads)
- Launch control (still haven't tried it- not sure how)
Enkie RPF1 17x9 wheels
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Ver2 255/40R17

This set up was in my 2013 with PRHT last season except that the camber was -2.5 front and -1.8 rear.
I did well enough with it but wanted a dedicated autocross/track car so I sold it and bought the 2006 soft top.
3rd, 1st and 2nd in three different club seasons in ST. Not so hot at Packwood Nationals.

So I've had 2 local events on a very tight lot and the back end is loose under acceleration. I haven't been on a big enough course for a sustained sweeper to know if it's loose there. Front end has tons of grip.
I had a Racing beat rear sway bar but disconnected it to try and get some grip. That helped a bit.
I backed off my dampening in the rear trying between 8 and 30 clicks. Ended with16 clicks. That helped a bit but still loose. Something's not right.
I put the stock sway bar in but it didn't change much from a complete disconnect.

This Monday night I'm changing the rear camber to between 1.5 and 1.8. Haven't decided yet.
I'll know this coming Thursday night.

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions.
sjd

Post by sjd »

Good idea!

2010 MX-5 GS Soft Top
JIC FLT-TAR coilovers.
Swift springs 12K Front 7K Rear
I've been having front end grip issues, quite often the car pushes when I turn in. It just washes out. Its not the kind of understeer you get when going in too hot either. I'm ordering a set of front springs and was leaning towards 9K fronts but keep wondering if I should get 10K fronts.
Mazdaspeed front sway bar
Mazdaspeed rear (disconnected on faster courses)
Front camber -2.4
Rear camber -2.0
Caster 6.5
Toe 0 (I do drive it on the street a lot)
AEM intake
Max Power header
RoadsterSport mid-pipe and muffler.
Open Flash Tablet tune
7600 RPM limit.
17x9 RPF1's
Last year I ran Yokohama AD08R's, this year I have a set of 245/40/17 Bridgestone RE71R's that should be here soon.

I'm happy with the car for the most part but it doesn't feel as good as my 2006 used to. The reluctance to turn in and the push is the biggest problem. Although sometimes on faster airport courses the car will get into a tank slapper but I suspect that's the course design. My set up was the same except for the tune and the coilovers. I ran a set of Mazdaspeed coilovers with the stock rates. 300 pound front and 175 rear.
2010 Competition Yellow MX-5.