Pro Race 1.2 wheels, TPMS, and Tire Dealers

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
DaveK491

Pro Race 1.2 wheels, TPMS, and Tire Dealers

Post by DaveK491 »

I'm a new Miata owner and first time poster here, so please go easy on me. I'm still pretty green.

Just got some Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels and TPMS sensors for my 2015 Miata. I want them as a second set of all-season rims/tires.

I went to the local Goodyear place (TireRack preferred installer) to ask about their prices and they started giving me a lot of crap about how OEM sensors usually won't work aftermarket wheels.

After I got home, I installed one of the sensors finger-tight and it seemed to fit fine. The sensor body lays right up against the wheel, but doesn't interfere with the alignment of the stem or the seating of the o-ring. However, I have never seen a sensor actually installed on a wheel, so what I think is ok may not be ok. I will take a few pics and post them if need be, but what I'm interested in is whether these wheels are designed to be used with Mazda OEM TPMS sensors.

Here are the wheels:
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1281.html

I didn't mention that the Goodyear place also insisted that they need to program the sensors for the specific wheel position on the car, so they wanted me to bring the car in, rather than just the rims. They charge $12.50 per wheel for this service. I planned to install the wheels on the car myself and just use the reset procedure in the user manual. They gave me a lot of push-back on that. I don't mind the $12.50 nearly as much as the feeling that they were BSing me.
DaveK491

Re: Pro Race 1.2 wheels, TPMS, and Tire Dealers

Post by DaveK491 »

Here are a few pics of the Miata TPMS sensor mounted on the Pro Race 1.2 wheel (7x17, 50mm offset). Does it look like a good fit? The sensor is VDO SE53015 which is supposed to fit the 2012-2015 MX-5.
Attachments
TPMS-ProRace12_4.jpg
TPMS-ProRace12_4.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
TPMS-ProRace12_3.jpg
TPMS-ProRace12_3.jpg (56.41 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
TPMS-ProRace12_2.jpg
TPMS-ProRace12_2.jpg (66.14 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
TPMS-ProRace12_1.jpg
TPMS-ProRace12_1.jpg (69.95 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

We have used the sensors with lots of aftermarket wheels without issue.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
DaveK491

Post by DaveK491 »

Thanks for the reply Brian. I was pretty certain there was no problem, especially after test fitting them to the wheel, but I'm pretty new at this so the Goodyear guy made me less sure of myself. At this point, I'm just going to assume there will be no problem and tell the installer (whoever that turns out to be) not to worry about it.
StephenW571

Post by StephenW571 »

I had no issues with tpms and and the standard reset and re-learn either.
On the plus side I guess you now know where not to go for tire and wheel work in your neck of the woods.
Finding good and honest shops you can trust is invaluable.
Best of luck and enjoy. The wheels look great.
DaveK491

Post by DaveK491 »

StephenW571 wrote: On the plus side I guess you now know where not to go for tire and wheel work in your neck of the woods.
Yes, that's true. I live in a small southern city with a small car enthusiast market. When it comes to tire shops, there isn't a local stand-out sympathetic to folks who are very particular about their cars. The Goodyear shop's claim to fame was their reputation for not damaging wheels. In other regards they are probably quite average.

Thanks for commenting.